Chapter 53

The three of us were walking along a shut down railroad track tossing little pieces of meat as we went. I followed after them and listened while Dustin tried to explain to Steve why he kept a monster in his bedroom. The conclusion was he had a crush on Max and he thought she would think it was cool.

"All right, so let me get this straight. You kept something you knew was probably dangerous in order to impress a girl who...who you just met?" Steve asked Dustin.

"Watch yourself Steve, that girl is my sister." I reminded him, causing Dustin to smile.

"All right, that's grossly oversimplifying things." Dustin answered.

"I mean, why would a girl like some nasty slug anyway?" Steve asked him.

"An interdimensional slug?" Dustin answered.

"Because it's awesome." I answered at the same time.

"You two are so weird." Steve said as he tossed some more meat on the track. "Well, even if she thought it was cool, which she didn't, unlike her sister." He added in. "I...just...I don't know. I just feel like you're trying way too hard."

"Well, not everyone can have your perfect hair, all right?" Dustin said annoyed with Steve.

"It's not about the hair, man." Steve told him.

"I can tell you Dustin, Max does not care about things like that." I told him hoping to boost his confidence.

"The key with girls is just...just acting like you don't care." Steve told him, causing me to look at him with a raised eyebrow.

"Even if you do?" Dustin asked him.

"Yeah, exactly. It drives them nuts." Seve told him.

Yeah it does drive us nuts but not in the way Steve thinks.

"Then what?" Dustin asked him.

"You just wait until, uh...until you feel it." Steve answered him.

"Feel what?" Dustin asked.

"Yeah Steve, what is he waiting for?" I asked him sarcastically.

"It's like before it's gonna storm, you know? You can't see it, but you can feel it, like this, uh...electricity, you know?" Steve told him.

"Oh, like in the electromagnetic field when the clouds in the atmosphere?" Dustin asked.

"No, no, no, no, no. Like a...like a sexual electricity." Steve told him.

"Oh." Dustin replied.

"You feel that and then you make your move." Steve told her.

"Steve!" I snapped as I slapped him in the shoulder.

"What?" He asked.

"Sexual electricity? That's my sister." I told him then looked at Dustin. "There will be nothing sexual. Do you understand?" I asked him.

"Yes, mam." He said before looking back to Steve who was laughing at him.

"Keep laughing Steve and I will hit you harder." I told him, causing him to stop laughing instantly.

There was a few seconds of silence before Dustin continued the conversation.

"So that's when you kiss her?" Dustin asked.

Steve looked at me and I rolled my eyes before he looked back at Dustin.

"No, whoa, whoa. Slow down, Romeo." Steve told him, giving him a response he knew I would like.