Chapter 51 - Max's POV

The next morning, I woke up and was surprised that the house was relatively quiet. I heard some noise from the kitchen. I walked out to see that my mom was cooking.

"Good morning sweetheart." She said to me when I walked out of my room.

I looked around the room to see everyone else was missing. I looked at the clock on the wall to see it was past eight.

"Where is everyone?" I asked her as she started plaiting the food.

"Neil is at work and your sister and Billy are still asleep." She answered.

"This late, that's weird." I said as I looked at my sister's door.

"I checked on her when I woke up and she's still asleep. Please let her sleep, she needs it." She said as she started cleaning the dishes.

"I have a plate set aside for both of them. Make sure your sister eats when she wakes up, and please tell Billy to keep it down." She told me as she grabbed her purse.

"Where are you going?" I asked her.

"I have some things I need to get in town." She answered as she hurried out the door.

"Great alone again." I mumbled as I sat down to eat my food.

I was about halfway done with my food when Billy walked out of his room rubbing the sleep from his eyes. He stopped walking when he noticed me sitting there. I was uncomfortable under his stare. Why was he looking at me like that? I asked myself.

"Why are you sitting there alone?" He asked me as he looked around the room for someone else.

"Neil is at work and my mom went shopping again. Leslie is still sleeping." I told him, causing his eyes to snap in the direction of her room.

"She's still asleep?" He asked as he started walking into the kitchen.

"Yeah, mom asked us not to wake her up, and then make sure she eats when she does wake up." I told him.

"Is there any more of that?" He asked me.

"Yep, one for you and Leslie in the fridge." I told him as I tried to finish my food without angering him.

He went to the fridge and pulled out a plate. He put it in the microwave and went to the bathroom while it warmed up. A minute later his food was done, and he appeared back in the kitchen. He grabbed his plate and sat down across from me as we both ate in silence. I finished my plate first, so I got up and quickly washed it in the sink then headed to my room.

I was sitting on my bed trying to tape my skateboard back together when loud music started playing from the living room. I walked out of my room to see Billy had turned on MTV and was listening to some rock music as he got ready to work out. He lit a cigarette and was holding it with his lips as he started to lift the weights. I noticed the tattoo on his arm, but I was not going to bring that up.

I wanted to tell him to keep it down. He was going to wake Leslie up, but I also didn't want to get yelled at again. I went back to my room and decided that if he woke up Leslie, she would just have to deal with him.

About twenty minutes later I heard the doorbell ring. I ignored it, figuring it was for Billy. No one would be stupid enough to come here looking for Leslie or I. The doorbell continues to ring and if someone didn't answer it soon Leslie was definitely going to wake up.

"Max, are you getting that or what?" Billy yelled out.

"Okay!" I yelled back no longer caring about Leslie's sleep.

I hoped she would wake up, so I didn't have to deal with Billy.

"Swear to God, Max!" He yelled as I was getting out of bed.

I stormed by him as he continued to work out and opened the door surprised to see Lucas standing there. I quickly stepped out on the front porch and closed the door so Billy wouldn't see him.

"What are you doing here?" I asked him.

"I have proof." He answered me.

"What?" I was confused as to what he was talking about.

"Proof that what I told you was real. But we have to hurry." He told me.

"What kind of proof?" I asked him.

"Remember the Demogorgon I told you about?" He asked me.

"Yeah, the big flower mouthed monster." I replied.

"I just talked to Dustin. Him, Steve and your sister are tracking a baby one right now." He told me, causing me to roll my eyes.

"What?" He asked.

"Well now I know you're lying. My sister is inside. She's still asleep." I told him.

"No, she's not." He answered.

I looked back at the house and knew if I didn't go in soon Billy would come outside.

"Okay, meet me around the back. I am going to check on my sister first. I will climb out my bedroom window." I told him.

I quickly made my way inside before he could respond. When I got inside Billy was standing in front of me. He must have been ready to come outside. I tried to walk around him, but he placed his arm in front of me blocking my way. His can of bear made a loud noise when it hit the top of the fireplace.

"Who the hell were you talking to?" He asked me.

"Mormons." I answered him not being able to think of anything else.

"Mormons?" He asked not believing me as he exhaled a puff of smoke in my face.

"Talkative ones." I told him as I pushed my way past him.

I walked over to my sister's room and looked inside while I heard Billy opening the front door. I peeked in quickly to see that her pillows were lined up under her blanket, but she definitely was not in her. I quietly shut her door and then ran to my room and shut my door as well. Why the hell would she sneak out? I opened up my bedroom window.

"Come on, hop on." He told me. "Hurry." He said as I climbed out my window and wondered if this is exactly what my sister had done last night.

I jumped on the back of his bike and held on to his shoulders.

"This better be good, stalker." I told him as he started to peddle away.