Chapter 78

I dialed Eddie's number and it rang and rang. I was starting to worry that he was not going to answer. Maybe he was hurt. Maybe he was in the hospital. How bad had the fight been? Did Billy hurt him like he had hurt Steve? He didn't pick up and his answering machine kicked on. I listened to his outgoing message and got ready to leave him a message.

"Hey Eddie, it's Leslie..." I started to say but was cut off when the phone was answered.

"Hey. I'm here." He said quickly as he picked up the phone.

"I'm sorry if you're busy." I replied.

"Not busy, I just wasn't expecting you to call." He answered.

"I heard about what happened at school today. I just wanted to make sure you were okay." I told him.

There was a long pause where he didn't say anything .

"Eddie you there?" I asked.

"Yeah." He answered and I could tell he was uncomfortable with the conversation.

"Are you okay?" I asked him again.

"I've been better." He answered.

"How bad is it?" I asked him.

"It could have been worse." He told me.

"That's not really answering my question." I told him.

"What do you want me to say? That your brother kicked my ass. Or was it your ex? It's hard to know which Billy I'm pissing off!" He snapped at me.

"You fought because of me?" I asked him as I tried not to cry.

"What else would we fight about?" He replied. "He's fucking crazy."

"I'm so sorry. I have no idea what's wrong with him. We haven't even talked sense that night at Jonathans. I have no idea why he attacked you." I told him.

"Come on Leslie, you're not stupid." He told me.

"What do you mean?" I asked him and this time I couldn't hold back my tears.

"It's obvious why. We've been spending a lot of time together lately and he's jealous." He said emotionlessly.

"He has no right to be jealous." I said as if it would make a difference.

"That's what I told him." He said softly.

"I'll talk to him and tell him to leave you alone. He can't do shit like this. He can't keep attacking all my friends." I told him.

I could hear him let out a loud sigh that I don't think he realized I could hear.

"Don't do that. It will just make him angry." He told me. "I have to go. I have stuff I have to do." he told me.

"Oh okay. I'm sorry to keep you. We'll talk when I see you later." I said.

"I'm not going to be able to take you tonight. I'm sorry." He told me.

"But..." I started but didn't know how to finish the sentence.

I had no right to say anything. He had been spending his own time taking me to physical therapy all week. Taking care of me when he didn't have to. It would be incredibly selfish for me to complain. Especially after what happened today.

"Never mind. Dont worry about it." I said.

"You don't need to worry I didn't leave you hanging. I talked to Steve and he's going to pick you up tonight." He told me.

I couldn't believe he would go out of his way to find me a ride after everything.

"Thank you Eddie. Truly that was very nice of you. I appreciate everything you have done." I told him.

"Don't worry about it. I have to go." He said.

"Okay buy." I replied and he quickly hung up the phone and the call was over.

I hung up the phone and sat there for a while in silence as I took in everything that had just happened. Eddie was acting weird which was understandable but I was worried that I had lost him. Had Billy scared him away for good. Then I couldn't help but think about Steve and how Billy scared him away as well. I hadn't seen him sense Billy attacked him. Would he really come tonight? Would it take Eddie weeks to come see me again like it had Steve?