Chapter 71

I had no idea how much time had passed. I sat there in that bed for what felt like an eternity. My knees were pulled up to my chest, my arms wrapped around them tightly. My face was buried in between as I cried as I never have before. My eyes were dry as I had no more tears to cry. My throat was sour from the screams I was unable to hold in.

I felt the bed dip next to me but before I could look up strong arms wrapped around me. I didn't have the energy to look up to see who it was. I could hear a male voice talking. I started to panic at the thought that I was so distort someone made it into my bed without me noticing. A male, definitely a man.

I pulled myself out of his grip and tried to make out who it was. My vision was blurry and my eyes stung against the light. I tried to rub the pain from my eyes and although it didn't work at last I could see. I could see that the person who made their way into my hospital bed was Steve.

“Leslie, are you okay? What's wrong?” he asked.

I tried to answer but my throat was too sour. I actually winced from the pain.

“I’ll go get a nurse.” He said as he stood up to get someone.

Before he could take a single step away from me I reached out and grabbed his wrist stopping him from leaving.

“Stay?” I asked him softly as my voice betrayed me.
He looked to the door as if he was questioning what he should do.

“Please?” I begged.

I did not know why I wanted him to stay but I knew I couldn't be alone. I couldn't be alone and he was here.

“Okay.” He answered as he sat back down on the bed next to me.

This time he was stiff and I could see he was unsure of what to do. I moved closer to him and placed my hand on his shoulder. The warmth of his body was enough to calm me. After a few seconds he relaxed and after a few minutes he broke the silence.

“What's wrong?” He asked again.

“Its stupid.” I answered as I felt ashamed for being so distrid over something so trivial.

“If your this upset its not stupid.” He told me.
I couldn't help but let out a loud sigh as I tried not to break down again.

“I broke up with Billy?” I told him.

“I feel like I should tell you I’m sorry but” He started to say but couldn't finish.

“I know.” I told him letting him know it was okay to be happy we broke up.

“I don't get the two of you i’m sure you guys will figure it out”

“No, it's over for good this time. i can't do it anymore.'' I told him.

“I Can't believe I'm going to say this but here I go. If that's what you want I'm not going to try and change your mind. But if you ended whatever is between you because of me it's okay. I won't be mad if you stay together.” he told me, causing me to lift my head and look at his lying face.

“You wouldn't be pissed if I just forgave him for kicking your ass?” I asked him calling bullshit.

“He didn't kick my ass,” he replied.

“I’m sorry, is he in this hospital somewhere? I wasn't aware he was here. I should go find him, see if he's okay.” I teased him.

“Ha ha very funny. God I hate both of you.” he said.

“Is that why you snuck in here? Because you hate me?” I asked him.

“I came to see if you were okay because I could hear you crying.” he snapped back.

I could tell I was starting to annoy him so I stopped teasing him.

“I appreciate you being here,” I told him seriously.

“And your fight is not why I broke up with him, it was just the last straw.” I told him.

“I know you care about him so I am sorry. It must be hard.” He told me.

“I don't know what I’m going to do.” I said as I looked down at my hands.

“What do you mean?” He asked me.

“He's my first boyfriend. I haven't been with anyone else. It's pathetic but I don't know what to do without him. When I'm upset he's who I talk to. When I need help I would ask him. When I needed someone to talk to I would confined in him. I don't have that anymore. I didn't just lose my boyfriend, I lost my person. On top of that we live together. I'm going to have to see him everyday and pretend like  I don't care.” I said as I started to cry again.

He didn't say anything at first. He just pulled me into a hug and let me cry again. When I was done a few minutes later he spoke up.

“Well  can't do anything about your living situation, but if you want I could be your person. You no, minus the sex, just all the other stuff.” He told me, causing me to laugh much louder than I thought possible.

“What's so funny?” He asked.

“A man who wants to talk and listen to me complain and not have sex. Are you a real boy?” I asked him.

“Yes Leslie, I’m a real boy. We're both recently single so we can be miserable together.” He told me.

“You and Nancy?” I asked him.

“Yeah she dumped me.” He answered.

“Shit I’m sorry. YOu guys seemed good together.” I told him.

“I thought so too.” He mumbled.

“Well her loss.” I told him.

“I don't know about that but definitely Billy's loss.” He replied.

“YOu know what they say?” I asked him.

“What?” He asked back.

“Friends who fight demodogs together stay together.” I told him, causing him to laugh this time.

“No one says that.” He said through his laughter.

“Am I wrong?” I asked him.
Before he could answer the door slammed open and an angry looking nurse walked in.

“Steve Harrington, why aren't you in your room?” She snapped at him.

“I was just checking on Leslie.” He answered her.

“Both of you need rest. In your own beds.” She said as she crossed her arms and stared at us.

“I should go.” Steve said as he stood up.

“Can't he stay. I don't want to be alone?” I asked her.

“I’m sorry but he must return to his room.” She answered.

“I’ll be right next door if you need me.” He told me.

“You can see each other in the morning.” The nurse told us again.

“We almost died tonight, you don't need to be such a bitch!” I snapped at her.

“Back to your room! Now!” She yelled at Steve.

He looked back at me then hurried out of the room with him gone and another nurse came into my room. She took my vitals then gave me some pain medicine through my I’v. After a few minutes  I became very drowsy from the painkillers. As I closed my eyes I was glad I would get some sleep tonight.