Twenty

"My son asked that you have the day off. I was not expecting you here. Did you change plans?"

Before delivering his response, Taehyung fixed his gaze in the direction of the King. "For the next meetings, a lot of things have been delegated to me to organize. When my current commitments to work are reduced to a more manageable level, I will think about scheduling another day to spend with Seokjin."

"Taehyung, I know you are dedicated to serving me, and I want you to know how much I appreciate your hard work. Your father would be quite pleased with how you have looked after me. Having said that, given that you are now married to my son, I cannot reasonably expect you to devote your time and attention only to me when my son needs you. I told him it was okay for you to have the day off because it is, and there was no need for concern since I had transferred some of the responsibilities I had given to you to someone else.

I'd much prefer to have you concentrate your attention on Seokjin. He sounded really happy to have a day with you, so go back home, give him what he wants. Take the rest of the week and next week off.

It is not my intention to stand in the way of the two of you forming a family together, nor do I want to do so. I know you are quite a little older than my son, and I am certain you are considering children. Take the time to do some traveling; Seokjin loves to travel. You can resume your duties when you return; your job will always be here."

Taehyung couldn't believe what the King was saying to him. He didn't need any time off.

"Sir, I am grateful that you have shown me consideration and are willing to let me take a longer break from work than I had originally planned. However, there is no need for it. Although I don't need any more time off, I will go on a date with Seokjin today-'

"This cannot be negotiated, Taehyung. My son has asked you for some time. He seems to be home alone and bored. He would prefer some time away from work to spend with you. I have emphasized that while he is a prince, you are an Alpha, and your inclination will always be to work. Nonetheless, I made certain to reassure him that work would never take precedence over him in your eyes. I apologize if this is not what you wanted, but because Seokjin is my son, I will always agree with his request. I do not anticipate seeing you here for some time. Spend time with my son, create memories, strengthen your relationship, and start a family. Go be an Alpha to my son; he shouldn't be crying for your attention."

Taehyung's hands formed into a tight fist as he tried to control his anger. Without responding, he gave the King a bow of his head and decided it was best to walk away. When he turned to leave, the King spoke again.

"I'm sorry for being so strict with you, son; I simply want Seokjin to have the best. Rarely does he call me and ask for anything. Please see this as positive. Feel free to send me pictures of any trip you take him on, and have fun! Don't be concerned about me or this kingdom."

The absence of a reaction from Taehyung as he left the room caused the King to take a deep breath. He felt bad for what he had done, but he also couldn't make his son unhappy.

****

Taehyung felt the need to take some time for himself before heading home. He wanted some time to himself to collect his thoughts and process how his life was transforming in front of his own eyes. He could not make choices for himself in any way, shape, or form, and those being made for him paid no attention to how he felt.

"I really wish I hadn't replaced you in that role. I ought to have left this place when you passed away." Taehyung said as he continued to study the urn containing his father's remains.

"I have no influence or power over anything. My husband is still a child at this point. I had no intention of spending time with this person, taking time off work, or loving and caring for them, but now I have no choice but to do all those things. How did things get to this point in my life? Even though I have been serving the King by your side since I was a little kid, this is the reward that has been bestowed upon me. I'm at a loss on what to do at this point. No matter how I look at it, I no longer have a say in any area of life. I am already in a committed marriage. What steps should I take? It is up to me to make things work, right? It seems to me that that is the action that you would want me to take.

It's possible that I'm being tough and not making an effort to see any silver lining in all of this. I have had this thought, too, but I'm angry and hurt. However, it seems that nobody cares, not that they ever did in the first place. It was very self-fish of you to leave me here. In any case, you shouldn't be too worried about me. By coming here, I have been able to get the answers I needed."

*****

When Jin hung up the phone after speaking with his father, he flashed a cheerful grin because he was relieved to learn that his father had granted Taehyung the additional time off work. He couldn't contain his excitement for the time they would spend together. He was aware that things had been heated between them earlier in the day, but he hoped that now that they had time together, they would be able to make significant progress toward improving their marriage.

He then went into the kitchen, where he pulled out one of the recipe books he had and decided that he would try his hand at preparing dinner for Taehyung.

Jin gave up trying to cook after he had spent almost two hours doing so to no avail. He was on the verge of crying as he leaned on the kitchen counter. "Why is this task so difficult?"

It was difficult for him to understand the rice cooker directions. The meat could not be removed from the pot, and all the veggies he had tried to steam ended up scorched. He had a natural objection to the kitchen.

"I will just have the kitchen staff prepare for us. I am not cut out to be a cook. That does not fall under my responsibility. I am a prince."

Jin called the kitchen staff to prepare a delicious meal for him and Taehyung, and then he also requested someone to come and clean their home since he had made a mess and was not in the mood to do any cleaning. That was something that was also not his responsibility. However, he was proud of his attempts and felt good.

While waiting for Taehyung to arrive home, he started researching potential vacation spots to which the two might travel together. He was thrilled at the prospect of traveling with Taehyung once again. He thought back to his numerous novel experiences over their honeymoon and was thrilled at the idea of having more of the same.

When the food arrived from the kitchen, he requested they set the table nicely. Once, they did as he had requested and left. Jin went to his room, stripped his clothes, and then slipped on his silk robe. He wanted a special evening with Taehyung and was hoping he wouldn't get rejected again. When he was done, he returned to the dining room, where he waited patiently for his Alpha to arrive home.

Because Taehyung was not at work, he did not know where Taehyung had gone, but he did know that Taehyung was angry with him because of what he had revealed about being on birth control. He was sorry he had said it since, after giving it some more thinking and discussing it with his father, he couldn't think of a good reason to put off starting a family.

As a result, he concluded that he would stop taking the pills and instead give a child to Taehyung as a surprise. In addition, his father had promised him a larger home in a more private side of the kingdom once he had his first child, which he was looking forward to. Currently, he had a much smaller home than he should have and didn't think it was fair.

*****

Jin felt a huge weight of worry lifted from his shoulders when Taehyung entered the dining room after an hour of him waiting.

"You are home. I tried calling you."

"My phone battery is dead. You ordered food?" Taehyung asked as he looked at the food on the table and then over at Seokjin. His eyes quickly diverted back to the food when he saw how open the robe Jin was wearing was.

"I did. It's probably gotten cold. I will have it heated. I was worried you weren't going to come home. Where did you go?"

Taehyung closed his eyes, "where are your clothes, Seokjin?"

Jin smiled before getting to his feet and said, "I think it would be best to wear less so that it would be easier for you afterward."

Taehyung took a moment to compose himself before turning his back on Jin, "I came here to have a serious chat with you. We can talk while we have dinner together. Put some clothes on, thank you."

"Why?" As Jin continued to pull the robe apart, he asked the question while exposing his body. "I don't appeal to you?" He moved directly in front of Taehyung while maintaining a fixed gaze on him the whole time. He was interested in knowing Taehyung's thoughts.

As Taehyung lifted Seokjin and laid him on the table, their lips met, forcing the plates of food on the table to shuffle and several of the plates fell to the ground.