Thirty-Two

A/N: After a long time, an update is here...I have nothing to say regarding the delay other than life happens, which means something different for everyone.

On that note, this chapter—a chunk of it, mainly in the middle — was weirdly not saved, and I can't figure out how it happened, so I had to redo it. If anything seems out of whack or something doesn't flow from one sentence to the next, just leave a comment, and I will look at it. I think it all flows, as I double-checked, but I am sure I could've missed something.

I personally love the quote I chose for this chapter, as it speaks so much to my life. I am never one to share my side of the story in any situation, as I usually leave people to believe what they want, and boy, do I have some enemies whose lives I have impacted positively without them even knowing or will ever know.  People are interesting, and I guess that's why I enjoy writing these books; I get to explore different behaviors and personalities. 

*****

"If only I had been better prepared, I would have been able to provide you with more." As she positioned a cup of freshly brewed tea in front of Taehyung, Min-hee made her comment. It was after hearing her son's questions and the sadness in his voice as he asked them that she came to the conclusion that it would be preferable for the remainder of their talk to take place in a location that she knew was comfortable and provided for maximum privacy, which was needed.

Taehyung lightly expressed his gratitude yet made no attempt to retrieve the cup as he lacked interest in consuming anything. Meeting his mother for the first time, he felt mixed emotions as he faced the woman he had longed to meet. Seeing her in person only intensified the bitterness and hurt he harbored for missing out on the opportunity to know her.

"It feels like just yesterday I heard about your marriage to Seokjin, and now you're expecting a child together. That's truly amazing!" Min-hee tried to tone down their conversation, hoping to soothe her son's evident tension. She noticed the stiffness in his shoulders and the icy glare in his eyes, filled with a mix of anger and hatred. She pined for a change in the way he looked. There was still a glimmer of hope in her heart even though she was well aware that she was not deserving of any grace from him.

"Are you going to answer my questions, or will this become a waste of my time?" Taehyung's words were cold, and his annoyance was clearly visible.

Min-hee let out a sigh as she sat down across from Taehyung. She reached for the cup of tea she had poured earlier, taking a sip before turning her focus to her son and starting a conversation. "I am sorry," were the very first words she uttered. "I regret not having had the courage back then to take you with me when I had to leave the kingdom. I feel like I failed you."

"Did you ever care about me?"

"Of course, I care about you; I still do. Taehyung, you are my child; I have always cared about you. I didn't leave you behind because I wanted to. I left because... it doesn't matter-"

"No, it does matter!" Taehyung's hand forcefully landed on the table as his Alpha's imposing aura filled the room, fixing a stern gaze on his mother. "You owe me the truth! What was the reason for you leaving? Why was I forced to witness everyone else growing up with their parents while you abandoned me? Even after my father passed away, you were nonexistent! Why?" Taehyung's voice was filled with anger as tears welled in his eyes, intensifying his emotions even more. He detested feeling vulnerable, especially in front of the last person he wanted to witness his distress.

Witnessing her son's tears tore her apart, as she felt overwhelming pain, knowing she was the reason behind his suffering. She felt deeply affected by his stirring words, feeling the weight of his past suffering caused by her leaving. Min-hee's shield shattered after three decades, the protective barrier she had built to protect herself and her son. As she gazed at him, she realized he had reached a point where she might trust him. She sensed a strong connection with him, knowing deep down that he was her flesh and blood. She felt that revealing the truth was the only way to change his hateful stare, but she was also wary of how he would react to what she had to tell him.