Chapter Fourteen - The Price For An Apple

Y/N's POV

The week had been a pain, to say the least. I only went home to sleep sometimes, and even that had to be done in secret. I don't think Dad realized my absence and Mom would only send messages to Kentaro asking about my well-being. At least she cared a little.

My relationship with Kentaro went from sometimes tolerable to most of the time tolerable. I made sure to tell him where I was at all times. He had his opinions about me spending nights with Yuji but he never said anything more than an okay, take care.

Even though shit seems rough, I don't think I've been this happy and comfortable in a long time. School is fine. I have Cami and Yuju and Kentaro, and Mom and Dad are basically out of the picture.

"Oi, Monkey Face! Think fast!"

And I also have Aunt Yui.

I turn around just fast enough to see a splotch of red spin as it approaches me.

"Oi!" I attempt to catch it but the apple slips my fingers once, twice, a couple of times before it hits the floor. Its skin ripping and the juices and interior splashing the dirt floor.

The whole market turns to look at us. Their faces full of disgust.

This is why I hate old people, it's as if they can't stand anyone being happy.

While Yui giggles, the owner of the apples looks at her with piercing eyes. He looks between fifty years and death, I can almost smell his decomposing flesh.

"You gotta pay for that," His words are raspy, smoker's voice.

The way he makes it sound is as if we were going to steal a fucking apple. Aunt Yui makes enough money to buy his whole stand.

"Yeah, yeah," Yui rolls her eyes and opens her bag. Her lips close tight when it takes her more than a minute to pull out her wallet, "Ups... Do you accept debit?" She smiles shyly and pulls the purple card between her index and middle finger.

The man's eyebrows come together as if pure disrespect had come out of her mouth. He exits his booth and closes the distance between Yui and him. He is mostly skeleton, but he still has some muscle.

"No, cash only. Better pay up," Two younger men who look like a replica of the old rag, come closer to the scene.

Usually, the market is pretty chill, but lately, there's been a lot of robberies. It has cost people a lot of money. Hence, it has become dangerous.

"I didn't bring any cash," Yui doesn't lose her composure despite the difference in height and mass of the three.

"It's just an apple," I say.

"An apple you can't pay for," One of the younger men says and turns to look at me, his olive eyes landing on my wrist and on the golden bracelet, "Hand it over. You can take as many apples as you wish, there will be no change."

My eyes fall on the chain- a gift from Yui two birthdays ago. It's the only thing that survived after I started trading my stuff for cash to buy drugs. If I didn't exchange it for my addiction, much less for a fucking apple, so I look at the guy with a look that clearly depicts the words fuck you. Before I can verbally communicate, there's an interruption.

"Hey, Ushiwaka, I'll pay for the apple," A different, very familiar, voice speaks up. Their steps get closer as they approach us.

I quickly catch a glimpse of the dark messy hair. Iwaizumi.

"Here," He drops a couple of coins on the kid's hands, "Should be enough."

This Ushiwaka growls under his breath. Annoyed more at the sight of Iwaizumi than at the fact he ruined a week's worth of money. However, his temper is just shown and, unlike Kentaro, he keeps it in check and just walks away back to his booth with the other two.