Chapter Twenty - Push Me Into A Hole

Narrator's POV

"Hey, wanna hang out after school?" Cami walks up to Y/N and places her hands on her desk.

"Don't you have volleyball practice?" She asks Cami without breaking eye contact with the math problems in front of her.

She finds the request a little odd. Cami is usually the one that initiates plans to hang out, even if it's just to grab something to eat on the way home. It's just, she doesn't skip volleyball ever. She's just as into it as all of those volleyball junkies. Y/N isn't dumb, she knows it isn't the sport that drags her to that gym, it's the boys. Boys? Boy?

"I can get out of it," She smiles and makes a heart with her hands, "All for you."

Cami is right, and that's exactly why she was planning on doing it, for Y/N.

They've had deep talks about stupid shit neither of them would ever confess to no one. And every time they do, Cami hopes Y/N can open up that one box she has hidden. There's always something else she wants to add, it just never comes out. Cami knows what it is, she just wants the words to come out of her: help me.

"I already have plans with Yuji," Y/N says to Cami's surprise.

And although Cami doesn't like Yuji that much, she smiles because he makes Y/N happy and that's good enough for her. However, she doesn't know the full story either because if she did, she wouldn't lift an eyebrow and elbow her playfully.

"Plans, mhm," She teased.

"It's not what your dirty mind is thinking," This time Y/N looks at her, and a nervous smile forms, "We are going on a date."

"A date that'll end with the Glock-Glock three-thousand," She laughs.

Cami isn't entirely wrong, but that's not the reason for Y/N's excitement.

She wants to be close to him. To touch each other without any sexual thought and only focus on the warmth their bodies radiate to each other, a homey feel. To blush from the slightest skin-to-skin contact like when they first met. To be fully platonic.

"We can still hang out," Cami says, "Like right now?"

"Right now?" Y/N's eyebrows come together, her tone a little surprised.

It took everything Y/N had so she could convince Cami to jaywalk, and now that same girl is asking her to skip class. Cami doesn't have the slightest clue on how to even escape the classroom, but she is definitely down to it, even with her palms sweating and the little voice inside her head yelling to take a seat.

"Yeah," She says either way with a smile she uses to hide every fucking emotion.

Y/N slams her book shut without a single exchange of words. And just like she has done several times, she ducks and walks towards the exit, opening and closing the door without a squeak. Not even Cami, who saw her, can believe she is gone and, much less, that no one noticed. It almost seems like a dare on Kyotani's part.

If Kyo-Chan was able to do it, I can too, Cami thinks for a split second before shaking the idea off her head. That's stupid.

Instead, she raises her hand, and when the teaches calls on her she asks, "May I go to the restroom?"

The teacher looks up to see her, not noticing someone is missing, and just nods before going back to grading. It could be that she is so tired she forgot Y/N sat in that empty chair, or it could be that she's so used to it.

Cami grabs her backpack, and tries to hide it behind her body, even though the teacher is no longer paying attention. Once she is behind the door, she sprints out of the building, Y/N already waiting for her on the stairs.