Chapter Twelve - Maybe In The Afterlife

Iwaizumi's POV

"Iwaizumi-Kun?" I can feel her eyes on me, "Can you carry me home?" She asks and instantly, the joints on her legs unlock and all her weights falls on my arm. When she notices, she attempts to recover and put her weight back on her legs but her muscles are just too relaxed. I'm surprised she was able to even stand on her injured leg but it seems not to bother her, not even one bit. Actually, nothing seems to be bothering her at the moment while I on the other hand die inside.

I don't know what to do.

If I was thinking straight, I would take her to the hospital, but she has made it very clear that she would rather die than go and somehow I've deceided to listen to her.

"Yeah, I'll carry you home just give me a second," I don't look at her and dile one more time. The phone seems to ring forever before he picks it up.

"What?" He answers annoyed like always. I'm sure the sentiment isn't meant to be taken personally, that's just who Kyoutani Kentaro is.

"I found Y/N," I say and pause, how do I even say the rest without choking on my words. The images flash through my head: when I found her on the dirty floor with blood and a look of so much pain yet blank eyes. She looked so tiny in the corner, so helpless. I didn't even recognize her without her signature smile. "She took some opioids and injured her leg, I'm not sure on what to do."

"God damn it, Y/N," He whispers to himself loud enough for me to hear, "Take her home, I'll... I'll meet you there. Iwaizumi, don't let her fall asleep." That's all he says before he hangs up.

"You didn't have to call Kentaro," Kyoutani says, her words are dragged, "We are merely family by title."

"You talk a lot of shit, Little Mad Dog," I know she heard me, is because she smiles a little.

I grab her legs and carry her.

"Iwaizumi, you are really strong," She chuckles, a pretty contagious laugh that makes me smile as well.

"Stronger that Terushima?" I ask. The only reason why I'm able to be as impulsive is because I know she won't remember any of it.

She shakes her head yes.

Yeah, that alone makes everything worth it.

Kyoutani babbles as I carry her home. I'm not sure what she is talking about. It's a miracle if I understand more than two words per sentence, yet I make sure to answer when she pauses even if it's a simple 'mhm' or a 'mmm.'

About two blocks away from her house, I start missing her voice and notice she hasn't been talking in a while. Her breathing is there barely, her chest doesn't raise or fall as it used to- which was already worrisome enough.

"Hey, Kyoutaki, wake up," I shake her a bit.

"I'm awake," Her eyelids flutter and open just enough for me to get a glimpse of the white in her eyes.

"Tell me another story," I tell her. I don't care about the fucking story, I care about keeping her awake just like Kentaro said.

"Uhm... I can't think of anything right now, Iwaizu- Iwai-" She stutters, "Your name is too long, Imma call you Rocky, you know since 'iwa' means rock and you are as strong as a rock."

I laugh at that, even drugged she is able to talk nonsense.

"Come on, Kyoutani," I repeat when she stops talking, "Tell me a story."

"I already told... told you," She groans, "I don't know any."

"Okay, then ask or tell me something."

"Uhm... You have very pretty eyes. I like how they match with the volleyball uniform."