Chapter Fourty-One - I Need You

Y/N's POV

Tendou Yuna stands up tall, using the clear differences in height to advantage. She is wearing green-baggy pants, a black-crop top that shows off her toned arms, and heavy-looking boots. As accessories, a fresh purple bruise on the side of her face. Her intimidating presence is enough to instill fear in anyone who dares to look her way. Even without knowledge of her association to Angel, I can't help but feel a shiver crawl up my spine.

"Huh? No shit," She whispers to herself as she examines me, "You are here."

"What's that supposed to mean?" I ask.

She slips a hand inside the front pocket of her pants. My eyes examine her every movement. Despite being half awake, half dead, my brain still panics as it awaits for her to pull some sort of weapon.

"Towada said I would find you at my brother's," She tries to suppress a smile, "I didn't believe him."

Yuna walks towards me, stops when her shoulder brushes against mine from the side. I maintain my gaze forward trying to evade her piercing stare. The tension is palpable. I swallow hard, bracing myself for what might come next.

"Here, Princess," To my surprise, she slaps her hand against mine. Instead of a clapping sound, I hear a thud and feel the coldness of plastic. Through the crack of our bodies, I'm able to look down at the object in my hand: a transparent bag with white contents.

The thought of pleading Yuna to take it away does cross my mind, instead, my grasp tightens.

"You sure this is a healthy lifestyle?" She asks.

A question that erases how scared her presence makes me feel as I quickly turn to look at her. A mocking smile plastered on her face.

"Not that I care," She quickly says. The smile on her busted lips fades slowly the longer she thinks about her comment, "I just hate seeing Hajime worried."

Hajime...

I should have felt a flush of jealousy rush through me. But instead the sound of his name raises a hundred other red flags, all concerning him

So I ignore her and anything she meant to say next and walk away reaching over for my phone. The screen lights up revealing hundreds of missed calls and messages from Camila, Kentaro, one or two from Mom, and, of course, from Hajime.

As soon as I click on the message icon to tell them I am fine, the screen of my phone becomes pitch black. Not before getting a glimpse of the last text Hajime sent.

I need you...

***

The way to his house felt eternal, but soon I found myself at his doorsteps panting as I tried to recover from the run.

Without wondering whether he is even home, I knock on the door. The desperate feeling, pretty well conveyed on the thuds against the wood.

Before any knocking continues, a small crack opens. A honey-brown eye peeks out from the halfway opened door. Once they recognize me, the door swings open.

Haru looks up at me, his eyes glossy when they ask, "Are you here to see Hajime?"

"I came to see you too, buddy," I smile at the boy and place a closed fist between the two. Conflicted on whether to bump it or not, he slowly brings his hand up and barely touches my knuckles before dropping it.

He avoids eye contact and plays with his fingers as he continues, "Ime, isn't feeling good."

"Oh, is he sick?" I ask, hoping for the response to be yes.