Chapter Thirty-Three - Hate Your Secrets

Y/N's POV

I wasn't able to sleep. Every low creek would wake me up. I recognized every door that was opened-closed, knew whose steps were echoing in the hall. Yet my mind struggled to believe he wasn't back inside.

Worst of all, my head was pounding from stress. I try to sleep, lay on my bed for two hours before I give up. The light of the morning sun stings my eyes and the noises coming from the kitchen ring in my ears. It's impossible to fall asleep, so I get up.

I almost forgot about my foot, yesterday was definitely not its day. That is until I stand up from my bed, placing every pound in my body above the wound and sprained ankle.

I hiss in response to pain, but still walk towards the kitchen, limping and grunting low. The closer I get, the stronger the smell of eggs and bacon become.

Kentaro is facing the stove. I can see his back. The number sixteen imprinted onto the turquoise shirt. It's hard to get used to the sight, his first year, he wore thirteen. It still pains me he isn't higher up, but that's probably due to his shitty attitude.

"Oh, hey," Kentaro looks from behind his shoulder, he probably heard my steps or maybe felt my stare, "Mom, left to work, do you want breakfast?"

"No, not rea-" Before I can ever respond, he slides a plate on the counter. It almost seems ironic he has made a happy face out of two sunny-side-up eggs and a strip of crispy bacon. Once I have it in front of me, it's impossible to decline, my watery mouth craves it, so I take a seat.

"Today I have a game," Kentaro says.

I look up to see him smiling a bit, trying to suppress the excitement and anxiety that always comes with volleyball, but I can see it. One can't so easily hide what they love.

With my mouth full of food, I ask out of curiosity and to create conversation, "Against who?"

"Oh, I didn't really pay attention," He laughs- an evil laugh: deep and low, "I'll crush them either way."

"I'll love to see that," I smile. I'm sure he won't play throughout the whole game, Coach Irihata still hasn't quite forgiven him for running away mid game last year. Kentaro will probably get half a set at most. Either way, I ask, "Can I come with?"

It's been a while since I saw him play. I remember I always loved the thrill of the sport, especially when it came to him. Kentaro has always played more extreme to say the least, he is untameable on the court. Everyone always tried to remind him of teamplay, but to be honest, I preferred it more when it was only him against six, that's the only time he seemed to really be enjoying the game.

"Uhm, sure," He scratches the back of his head, "If you want."

"It almost seems as if you don't want me to go."

"I think you just want to go watch Iwaizumi-San," He grabs his plate and puts it on the counter across from me.

"Yeah, maybe," I smile. There is no way to deny Hajime and I have been spending more time together, the volleyball team loves to gossip like ladies over tea, especially motherfucking Oikawa Toru.

Kentaro quickly regrets bringing up my love life, after all he is my brother, and just as the thought of him with girls disgust me, it makes him gag talking about the boys I like to spend my time with.

"I've been meaning to ask what you were doing so early this morning," He continues, "Where you with...?"

His name is unable to come out. Kenataro has never liked Yuji, even without saying his name, it makes him make a sour face.

"Oh, no, we broke up, or sort of," I say, recalling yesterday's events. Images of his shaking body on the ground and delicate state at the hospital flash through my head, making my stomach turn and the food creep up my throat.