Adapt

...

I woke up on a medical table with a skull thing in my face.

Like any rational person, a freaked out and decked the thing in the face, sending it crashing into a crate of pointy metal bits. The skeleton thing was swearing as I crouched in a fetal position on the edge of the table, looking for a way out.

When I found the way out, it had people streaming through it. A ginger girl, a giant rat in a kimono, and the turtles. I flinched away when the turtle in red glared at me, and the skeleton thing groaned. "Casey!" The girl said, going to the skeleton man and helping him out of the crate.

Everyone but me seemed to have weapons drawn, and this made me antsy. The purple turtle- Donnie, put a staff away and extended his hands, palm out, like he was faxing an angry animal.

Which, in some way, he was.

"Hey, hey, everyone calm down. It's good to see you awake, Aja, was it?" He asked, and I relaxed slightly. "Yeah." I said in a hoarse voice. My throat hurt and my skin felt dry and I was hungry. How long had I been out for?

"It's been about three days since you where mutated." Leo said. Did I say something out loud? My stomach growled loudly and my already pink-tinted skin got pinker with blush. The orange turtle, one with freckles and a surfer accent for some reason, exclaimed before running out, then back in, this time with a plate of pizza.

"Hey dudette, I'm Mikey!" He said, shaking my hand before pushing the pizza into my grip. "I.... I've been out of it for three days?" I asked, shocked. "Not entirely! You've been slipping in and out of consciousness for three days, waking up for brief periods each day." Donnie said, "Uh, you don't mind if I do an examination, do you?" He asked, holding a little reflex hammer.

"Go ahead." I asked, taking a bite of the pizza. "What happened during my conscious periods?" I asked the kimono mouse, seemingly the only adult in the room. "Do not worry, Aja. Each time we simply found you in a sizeable water source." He said, before tapping a jade staff against the ground. "My name is Splinter. It is a pleasure to meet you, child. I know this is quite... jarring, but you have the capacity to adapt, as we have." He said, and I jolted.

I turned around, seeing Donnie poking my tail.

I have a tail?!