Keys and Tea

"What's this for?"

That's what Donnie asked me after I handed him a shiny, silver key. "It's a key to my apartment. It also unlocks the windows." I replied, shrugging. "Okay, but... why?" He asked. "I checked with April and Casey. We live on opposite ends of the city, so if you guys are ever on my side of town an need help, the doors open, and if you, ever need a place to vent, don't be afraid to come over."

"Okay, but why give this to me? Why not Leo?" He asked. "Eh, you're the only one who doesn't really have someome to vent to. Leo has Splinter, Raph has Chompy, and Mikey has ice cream kitty. Figured if your brothers bug you and you don’t wanna watch April and Casey suck face, you can come to mine." I said, hanng him a sticky note with my address.

The literal next day.

I was sitting in my living room reading a book and drinking tea when I heard a knock on my window. I pushed it open and saw Donnie, suddenly looking shy. "Don, I gave you that key for a reason." I said with a smirk, leaning my chin on my palm. "What's wrong?"

"My brothers. Mikey blew up some chemicals, Raph and I got into and argument, and Leo scolded me for those things. ME!" He said while I poured him a cup of tea. "Hm. That sounds stressful, but you do live with four other people." I said. I remembered when I lived with my family. Hell. On. Earth.

"But  it wasn’t my fault! I didn't know Mikey was in the lab, I didn't know Raph the experimental version of my smoke bombs would knock him out! So why did Leo blame me?!" He asked, throwing his hands up in defeat.

"Donnie, did Mikey say why he was in your lab?" I wondered. "He said that he wanted to try an experiment." Donnie said. "Hm. Mikey is your younger brother, right?" I asked, setting my teacup down gently. "Yes."

"And he's often scolded for being "stupid," right?" I said, airquoting stupid. "Yeah, why?" He asked. "Donnke, has it ever occurred to you that Mikey views you as a genius? And that, as your younger brother, he looks up to you and wants to be more like you? To be smarter, so he won'tbeyelled at as much?" That was the motive for most younger kids going through their siblings stuff. "I- that... actually makes sense. But what about Raph?" He asked.

"Donnie, what chemicals did you use in those experimental smoke bombs?" I asked. "Sodium, Hydrogen, phosphorus, epinephrine-" I cut him off by holding up my hand. "Don, hun, epinephrine causes anger and hostility in most creatures, and Raph is naturally angry. Raph inaled a dangerous chemical. It makes some sense he was mad." I said softly.

"I- how do you know this?" He asked me, sipping tea. "In college I took a course in psychology, and a few months ago I ran a test to see how epinephrine-rich foods affected the attitude of different sea creatures." I said.

"Huh." He said, surprised. "Mm-hmm. Now, how about when you're ready you go back to the lair and try to talk to Mikey about not touching chemicals unsupervised, and to Raph about how and why he got so... aggressive... over the smoke. I assume you inhaled some as well."