Happy Birthday!

We sat in the farm house as everyone asked questions. Eventually the questions died down and Sirus came over with a paper chain. "Have you got anything to say, Sirus?" I asked, leaning on the arm of the chair and sipping my drink.

"Um.... Donnie, if you hurt my sister, I'll tear your shell of and beat you with it;" He began, and I choked on my drink, spitting water onto the floor: "Can we hang up the birthday chain, Aja?" More choking. "Si-Sirus, what do you mean?" I asked. "My birthdays next week. Can we hang up the birthday chain?" He asked. "Sure." Was it next week? I know I was asleep, but is my sense of time really that screwed by it?

I hung the chain on the door and went to make a present for Sirus.

~One week later~

I pulled a chocolate came out of the oven and set it on the counter to cool off. On the coffee table several wrapped presents sat, and Hunter toddled around, a little party had on his fuzzy head. I tossed him a piece of meat from the matzah ball soup and he scampered away happily. Sirus came out in a bedazzled paper crown with streamers on his wheelchair.

I spooned the soup into bowls and set it on the table, calling for dinner and frosting the cake. My mom had come over to celebrate too, and she smiled at the familiar meal.

When it came time for presents I set them in front of Sirus, recording his reactions. Mikey got him a paint kit, Leo got his a Captain Ryan action figure, Raph gave him wooden sais, I gave him a plush axolotl I sewed for him, April gave him a marine biology book, Splinter gave him a pretty Japanese tea set, Mom gave him a picture album, and Casey didn't get him anything, like a jerk.

When it came time for Donnie's gift he got it himself. He asked Sirus to follow him into a room. Donnie came back out, his hands outstretched, eyes trained on Sirus. Sirus had a belt with a small machine attached, and he was holding onto furniture for dear life as he... he... walked.

"I... Donnie... how?" I asked with tears in my eyes. "His spinal cord wasn't completely severed. I figured this out a few weeks ago, and started on a version of the spinal cord stimulator. It'll take some physical therapy, and he'll still need the chair, but he might be able to walk normally in a few years." Donnie said, grabbing Sirus as he stumbled. I think this was the best gift Sirus could have gotten.