I'll keep you safe

I tucked Sirus in after making sure his window was locked and assuring him he's safe.

I got into the living room and saw the turtles whispering in a circle. "What're you talking about?" I asked, my voice hoarse. They all jumped and turned to look at me.

"Aja! I- we- how... how do you feel?" Donnie asked, and I shrugged. "Terrified." I admitted with a shaky voice. "Well, we can help with some of that. Do you have any photos of your dad?" Leo asked. "I.... yeah." I said. I went back to my room and dug through an old box I kept in my closet. The picture was framed, he edges worn from how often I stared at the picture. It showed the scene just after Sirus was born. My mother held the tiny baby with a tuft of strawperry colored hair.

A little, seven year old version of me stood to the side, watching the baby with wide eyes. And, finally, in the corner, was a tall, blonde man with a proud smile. "I.... if you find him... can you try to be gentle? I know he's done bad things, but before he found out my mom cheated, he was a good man. Just... fragile." I said, handing Leo the picture.

"... We'll try, Aja." Leo assured me. Each of the turtles snapped a picture before passing the picture back to me. Most of them left, but Donnie stayed behind, sitting down beside  me.

"Aja..." He said gently, placing his hand over mine. "Donnie... what if he goes after Sirus?" I asked, my voice cracking as tears began to fall. "If he does, we... I'll protect him. And I'll protect you." He said gently. My hands formed fists, shaking wildly. "But we can't always be with Sirus. I can't be with him during school, and you guys can't be out in the day, someone might see you!" I cried.

Donnie wrapped his arms around me, hugging me to his plastron as I tried my best to sob silently. He rubbed my back, playing with my hair and rocking like I had done with Sirus earlier.

"Nuts to that. If you or Sirus need me, I'll come running, whenever, wherever." He mumbled gently in my ear. "I- Thank you." I sobbed, hugging Donnie. I kissed his cheek and he turned bright red, hugging me tighter.

"I'll keep you safe." He promised, resting his head on my shoulder.