Face the Storm (Finale part 1)

You read the title right. This is part one of the finale. I wanted to thank all the readers so far, and I hope I can give this story a satisfying end. Also this chapter has one vaguely veiled inference, don't yell at me in the comments.

We allied with the fishpeople who didn't want to invade us.
Our wounds had healed.
And my mother stood on standby with doctors.

But I still worried.

I checked the ammo of my gun for what felt like the millionth time, the sun shining through the barn loft opening and revealing the circle I wore into the ground with my pacing. "Aja, calm down, we'll be okay this time." Donnie said, grabbing my wrist and pulling me onto his lap. He hugged me and nuzzle into my hair, trying to calm me down.

"You don't know that, Donnie." I said softly, tears in my eyes. He kissed me softly and played with my hair, trapped in a braid. "Fine then. If you're so worried, then I want to be able to say I don't regret doing, or not doing, anything." Donnie said, starting to kiss my shoulder.

Later as the sun set we loaded into a van and drove to a rendezvous point with the other mutants. Mom was at the farmhouse with Sirus, and we where all better prepared. We met up with Karai and the Mutanimals and began sneaking to the warehouse where Sirus was held.

We climbed into the rafters and stared down at the business below. Whenever we got the chance we took out a figure, and just as someone noticed we jumped down, taking the, by surprise.