Chapter 20: Byleth and Shez

Byleth arrives to the Captain's Quarter with Alwin behind him. Jeralt was waiting for him. The Mercenary Captain had a downed look on your face.

"By." He said. "We need to talk... it's about the Monastery."

Byleth took a seat. He was shocked to see that Beles was not present. Perhaps because she was cheering Ashe up?

"Is something wrong, Jeralt?" Byleth had curiousity in his voice.

"I was considering... quitting the Knights of Seiros and... having you resign as a teacher."

Byleth felt... shocked... flabberghasted. So many feelings.

"I understand you wish to spend more time with the students." Jeralt continued. "But... after what happened with Aelfric... when you almost died, I was questioning Rhea's decision to hire you as a Professor. I do not want you anywhere near Rhea, yet-"

"I'm not leaving my teaching position." Byleth said, in a spiteful tone that Jeralt never heard since he always followed orders. "I cannot believe this... I thought you cared about me and my sister... but... you're only worried about yourself."

"Byleth, please understand." Alwin shook his head.

"WHAT IS THERE TO UNDERSTAND IF YOU DIDN'T EVEN DISCUSS THIS TO RHEA OR SETETH?!" Byleth shouted.

Jeralt and Alwin froze. They had no words left to say since the usually stoic Ashen Demon bas never vented his anger like that.

Without even saying a word, Byleth left, not hearing Jeralt's calls.

Camila was nearby, having heard the conversation. She was returning from the library when Byleth ran off. She knew he was angry, yet she couldn't leave this out, so she followed him secretly.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Byleth arrived at the outskirts of Garreg Mach, where the Great Tree Moon Mock Battle took place. He wanted to scream, but he feared he would wake anyone up.

He had helped Monica train for the insurrection at Hevring and Gerth. He had tried to help Linhardt recover from his trauma of when Sirena abducted him. He even told Edelgard that there was no one who she had as an enemy, an act the Adrestian Princess was greatful for.

Why did Jeralt want Byleth to let those memories goes just out of worry that his power... Sothis's power... would cause Byleth to kill his beloved students? Why was Alwin, the guy who tended to him for ten years, siding with Jeralt? Why didn't Beles get any word of this?

Just as he was asking these questions, the girl that Claude had rescued, appeared from behind him, knife in hand, and attempted to stab him in the back.

Meanwhille, Camila had lost sight of Byleth, even though she had arrived to the Entrance Hall. Why was he so fast?

"Summoner?" A voice was heard.

Camila turned around and saw Edelgard and... Lysithea?!

"Why are you out here in the dark?" Lysithea crossed her arms.

"Byleth ran away." Camila answered. "After a deep conversation with Jeralt. They were loud."

"The Professor ran off?" Edelgard shook her head. "But where?"

"He must have gone outside the Monastery." Another voice was heard.

Shez approached the group casually.

"Who are you?" Camila asked.

"I'm just another travelling Merc." Shez said. "Oh. And I am not alone on this."