Chapter 8: In The End... Part 1

"Okay everyone!" Spina announces a group of students in a classroom in Miyaji Academy, being the Academy's Vanguard club. "Today's a big day, people. We're going to be deciding who will be representing our school in the Vanguard Koshien!"

"With Spina-senpai leading the team, we've practically won already!" A first year girl says.

"Ah, about that." Spina starts. "To decide our team, we'll actually be holding a tournament with 7 rounds. The top three students with the highest scores will be the team representing us!"

"But...you are going to be on that team, right?!" The first year asked.

"If I perform well enough, yes. I'm not going to put myself on the team automatically just because I'm the club president. If I'm going to compete in the Koshien, then I need to show I'm worthy! Just as the rest of you should!" Spina gives an inspiring speech to her potential teammates. "Now then, let us begin our selection tournament! The first three people to reach 7 back to back wins will be our representing team! Go! Fight to the best of your abilities and claw your way into Koshien team! Here are the matchups for the first round!

"When you win, report to me." The supervising teacher of the club smiles and stands off to the side to watch the card games.

———

Nanu has been on a 6 game winning streak. The most terrifying part of this tournament is that if you win, you're paired against another game winner, which means fights will always be closing any sort of skill gap between casual players and hardcore players. Nanu never considered himself hardcore, mostly just lucky. Well, we say "lucky" in quotations due to the fact that he has protagonist powers and a strong bond with his cards. His last opponent, should he win, was Tyranna Kobayashi, Spina's twin sister.

Mecha, also on a winning streak, was paired against second year student Luna Mikado, and Kia was paired against Spina herself. Unfortunately, Alice didn't aim to participate, and Azura was already knocked out by Spina last round.

"Sorry in advance, Tyranna. But one of us has to drop out after this, and it certainly won't be me!" Nanu says to his opponent, getting into serious fighting stance.

"Same to you. I would've preferred playing on the same team as you, but I guess fate had a different plan." Tyranna smiles, and getting serious. "Get ready... Cuz my dinos are hungry, and we see rabbit stew on the menu! Stand up!"

"Stand up, la!"

"Vanguard!"

———

"The winners, and Miyaji Academy's Vanguard Koshien team!" The supervisor announces the results. "Spina Kobayashi! Mecha Primrose! And Nanu Kanzaki!"

"Man...! I really wanted to fight with Nanu and show off...!" Kia cries in the corner.

"I share your sentiments, Kia-senpai, but these are the results, and we should congratulate them." Azura smiles and rubs her back.

"Azzy-chan! You're such a sweetheart!" Kia hugs the azure haired girl, pulling her into her breasts and surprising Azura.

"Thank you all for participating! While I know some of you may be dissatisfied with your performance, I must thank you again for giving it your all! Mecha, Nanu, any words of encouragement?" Spina asked her two new teammates.

"Well, even though you all couldn't make it, what matters most is that you all tried!" Mecha smiles.

"Exactly." Nanu agrees with a nod. "And the most important thing, this was fun! Which is whole point of Vanguard! So even if you lost, take pride in the fact that you did your best, AND had a great time playing!" Nanu says.