Chapter 28: On The Run

The cabbie that was driving Laura ended up driving her out of her town and stopped at a cabin in the forest.

"Wha...? Where did you take me?" Laura asked and took out her phone. He had driven pretty far out. So far that the sun was already coming up. "Ugh... I don't even service, so I can't text Nanu about this..."

"Wow, is that how you thank your husband?" The cabbie removes his hat, and reveals himself to be Jared Kanzaki.

"Hubby?!" Laura asked, surprised. "Wait, you're not—?!"

"No, I'm not." He says, let's Laura look through his deck. Just a standard Luard deck. No reverse cards in sight.

"Okay... I just had to make sure." Laura sighs. "But why are you here? Aren't you supposed to be in America with the boys?"

"As Ryu said at the airport, all flights have been canceled. Shigure and Perse went to the house to see how everyone was doing. I was on my way to the Tatsunagi building to deal with this mess myself, but saw your license plate and tailed you. And lucky I did."

"Okay... But now we're stuck out here with no phone service, and your car is out of gas." Laura points out.

Jared opens his mouth to speak, but realizes she's right. "I did not think of that part." Jared says.

"Ugh! You are the worst sometimes." Laura groans.

"Hey, I got us out of that situation at least. They can't possibly have followed us out here." He says.

"I know that, but we can't exactly walk back to Tokyo, you know?" She sighs.

"There has to be a gas station nearby. I'll head out and get some fuel, then drive us back. You stay here."

"What, no! I'll go with you." She says and follows after him.

———

Alice's group soon gets a text from Nanu as soon as they wake up.

'I've lost contact with mom. She's not answering any of my texts' It said.

Alice nods, then stands up. She rounds up Azura and Hoshi, who were sleeping in the same room as her, and walks over to Raptor's door, and knocks. "C'mon, we need to get going. Let's end this today." She calls as Raptor steps out his room.

"It shouldn't be more than hour walk, right?" Raptor asked.

"That is if no one gets in our way." Alice replied as they exit the elevator. And as soon as they step out, someone gets in their way.

"Yoshi...!" Azura gasps.

"Hi guys. Ready to join me?" She asked and flashed them a menacing smile.

———

"Rekka Tatsunagi...?" Nanu wondered.

"You don't need to be on guard. I'm not your enemy." The ginger girl says, putting her hands up. "You beat me, remember?"

"But didn't Cecilia take you back to Nome?" Damien asked, also being cautious.

"She tried, but disappeared before she can get me there. I had a dream... I was talking to Cecilia, and she explained everything to me. When I woke up, I had to come find you. I...I had to tell you what I know...!" She says and bows. "I know that...this won't make up for what I've done to all those fighters I reversed myself...! But you deserve to know the truth, and everything you should know to beat them...! Please give me this chance!" She practically begs them to hear her out.