Chapter 17: Vanguard Koshien; The Finals

The conclusion to the Vanguard Koshien is neigh.

"Dragprince, Rute."

"Minimum Carno."

Hoshi was going first. This was her chance to put some pressure once she hits Grade 3. "I draw, and ride Witch of Precious Stones, Dana, and draw with Rute's skill. Dana's on place skill, I put a Witch from my drop to the bottom of my deck. But since I can't, I force you to mill the top three cards of your deck instead." Hoshi already starts ripping up Spina's cards, forcing a Spinodriver, a Barreltops, and a Front Trigger into her drop zone. "I end my turn." Hoshi smiles at her good luck.

"Hm. Good start." Spina comments and starts her turn by drawing. "I ride True Ancient Dragon, Albert Tail. Draw, and obtain a Quick Shield. Albert Tail gets 5000 power. Attack."

"No guard."

"Drive Check. No trigger."

"Damage. Draw Trigger. I draw." Hoshi gets a good trigger check and starts her turn with another draw. "I ride Witch of Reality, Femme! Her skill! Soul blast, and force you to place two Grade 0s over your Grade 1 or greater rearguards. But since you have no rearguard, she gets plus 1 Drive now. I call Skull Witch Nemain, and use her skill to call Black Wing Swordbreaker. Her skill, counter blast and draw a card. I attack with Femme!

"No guard." Spina braces herself.

"Twin Drive! The first! Heal Trigger! I heal a damage and give the power to Swordbreaker. Second Check! Critical Trigger! Power to Swordbreaker, Critical to Femme!"

"Damage checks. No triggers."

"Swordbreaker attacks!"

"No guard. Draw Trigger. I draw a card." Spina gets her defensive trigger too late and is pushed to 3 damage while Hoshi now has 0. "I draw, and ride True Ancient Dragon, Aloneros! His skill, call an Ancient Dragon from the top three cards of my deck. Call Barreltops! Aloneros attacks!"

"No guard."

"Drive Check! Front Trigger! 10k power to my front row and Barreltops and Aloneros get a Critical when I reveal a Front Trigger in my Drive Check!" Spina fist pumps and deals two damage to Hoshi.

"Draw Trigger! Power to Femme and I draw!"

"Barreltops attacks!"

"I guard!" Hoshi protects herself to keep her damage low.

"I end my turn..." Spina groans at her lack of progress. If she had gotten that Front Tigger the first turn, she wouldn't be in such a bad position.

"I draw. The beautiful witch in the forest steps out onto the stage... Be careful, for she may put a hex on you if she so pleases! Come, my Avatar! Mesmerizing Witch, Fianna! Imaginary Gift: Force 1! I call Dana, and use her skill! I don't put any Witches to the bottom of my deck, so I mill the top three cards of your deck again!" Hoshi this time gets rid of two Fronts, and a Draw, making Spina cringe. "I use Fianna's skill! Counter blast and retire Nemain and Swordbreaker to call Femme from my deck and she becomes a Vanguard! Dana's skill! Rest her, and force you to call two Grade 0s from your Drop zone!"

Spina places down one of her Front Triggers from her drop zone over Barreltops, retiring the Grade 3.

"Femme's skill! Soul blast and call two Grade 0s over your Grade 1 or greater units! But you can't, so she gets another Drive Check!"

"Damn...!" Spina groans and looks at her hand, then her damage.

"Femme attacks!"

"No guard!"

"Twin Drive! Draw Trigger! Power to Fianna and I draw! Second check! No trigger!"

Spina takes a fourth damage.