Chapter 16| Family reunion

Meredith awoke with sound of her phone ringing, startling her. She groaned and rolled over, searching for it.

"Hello?" She croaked groggily before checking the time on the small clock.

Who the hell calls at 4am

"She's done what!" Meredith exclaimed as she sat up quickly, swinging her legs over the bed. "Okay- okay- I'll be right there- thank you- yes- okay bye" Meredith stumbled as she slipped on a hoodie and some sweat pants. As she was quickly getting ready, she heard a sudden knock at the door.

"Hey, are you okay?" Derek whispered hoarsely as she opened the sliding door. He was stood there shirtless, his hair all over the place. It took everything in Meredith not to bite her lip.

Stop it, Meredith! We agreed last night after the whole sparkly eye thing that we needed to put some distance between us.

"Uh yeah, I've got to go" Meredith mumbled as she slipped past him. Before she could get through,he grabbed her wrist. "It's 4am, Mer. What's wrong?" Derek asked her softly, worried about what had her out of bed at this time. "It's just- something-Now please, I really have to go" she said as she tried to pull away but he stopped her again. "Do you need me to come with you? I don't want you driving alone a night" Derek tilted his head to the side, trying to catch her eye.

Meredith stepped back. "I'm really sorry, Dr Shepherd, but I have to go" Meredith said before walking out the trailer. Derek stood there dumbfounded. "Dr Shepherd? Last night it was Derek" he mumbled to himself as he turned back and flopped onto the sofa bed with Doc.

He didn't end up going back to sleep after that; he tried, but failed. His mind was too infested with thoughts. Thoughts of why she left so early, or how cold she'd been with him, or how he'd let her drive after suffering a head injury only yesterday. Deep down he questioned if it was to do with her mom, that seemed a logical explanation and it was the only thought that stopped him going after her. Instead he opted for a run, something to clear his head, so he changed into some shorts and a T-shirt before slipping on his shoes. "I'll be back soon, Doc" he said before stroking his sleeping dog and walking out the door.

He jumped down the steps into the cool September frost as he looked around the parking lot, only lit by a few street lamps and the glow of the lights of the hospital. He hadn't familiarised himself with the area around the hospital since moving here, he hadn't had the time, so today seemed like a better day than any to go explore.

He ran along the sidewalk at a heavy pace, diving into not only his music, but his own thoughts.

Why did she leave so early?

Why did she call me Dr Shepherd?

Because that's your name, idiot.

She looked so worried, I hope she's okay.

Maybe I should call her.

Give her space.

Why do I care so much anyway?

Because she's your friend.

Do you worry about mark like this?

No, because he's a guy.

Hey, I should give Mark a call.

Focus. Meredith.

Ah Meredith, the most beautiful woman.

Okay- I don't think those thoughts are supposed to be happening...

Oh god, Derek, you're falling for her.

Yep, it's definitely time to call Mark and grab a drink together...

In the mean time, Meredith had driven herself to the care home her mother now lived in. It was a nice place, the nurses were nice, but she hated this place with every fibre of her being. She walked in, greeting the receptionist and signing in. She'd noted the ambulance parked outside, knowing it was for her mother.

She walked into the living area which was filled with lots of chairs. In the centre there was a small huddle of people. Care staff, paramedics, security; they were all holding her down. "Mom" Meredith said as she rushed over to them.

"What the hell happened?" Meredith asked when she saw her mother's stomach was covered in dark bruises. "Dr Grey, we have no idea how she got ahold of it but she must have slipped one of our butter knives into her room and she tried performing surgery on herself last night. She woke up early hours this morning, screaming of abdominal pain. We're going to transfer her to Seattle Grace to check for any bleeding." The young nurse explain. Meredith nodded. "Take her to Seattle Pres please" Meredith said to the paramedics who then searched the nurses approval. "Seattle Grace is closer, Dr Grey. And your mother signed it as her first choice" another nurse stepped in but Meredith interrupted. "And I'm her carer now, and I'm asking you to take her to Seattle Pers. Taking her to Seattle Grace will only make her more distressed. Please, take her there and call me when you get some results"Meredith said before she turned to walk away.

She suddenly stopped when she heard her mother screaming at her "Meredith! Get back here now! You're not going to Europe, end of! I have an interview today to be Head of Surgery and you're wanting to prance off to Europe on the same day?! How selfish of you! You are just like your dad, being a lousy Doctor and nothing but ordinary!" Ellis screamed at her daughter.

Meredith took one last look, swallowing the lump in her throat that was choking her before fleeing the room. She ran along the hallway and out the front door before running over to a bush and vomiting. She tried holding her hair back but it was useless. Her moms words rarely ever got to her, but that one hit home. She hadn't spoken to her Dad since she was 6, so being compared to him made her feel invisible, and it hurt her to the core.

Most would probably say it was pretty stupid what she did next, and Meredith would come to agree in about 12 minutes time as she drove through a suburb.

She knocked on the strangers door, waiting for an answer. About 2 minutes later the door swung open where she was greeted with the tired frown of a man she hadn't seen in 22 years.

"Dad?"