Chapter 18| Drunken drabbles

A week had passed since their argument and although they'd managed to remain professional, they weren't speaking to each other outside of work. Meredith had taken her things from his trailer that night before moving into one of the on-call room where she'd spent the rest of the week.

But now it was a Saturday night and Meredith had the day off tomorrow so her and Lexie decided to hit the city and go out drinking.

Similarly, Derek was reuniting with his best friend tonight and they were going to head out for some much needed drinks.

"Mark!" Derek called across the hospital entrance, waving at his friend. "My guy!" Mark called as he pulled his brother in for a hug. "How've you been man?" Mark asked as he smacked Derek's back "I've been good, new job, new life, it's what I needed" Derek smiled as they walked though the doors and to Derek's car. "Yeah, Amelia and Addie filled me in on what happened. Sorry about your kid, man" Mark said as Derek turned on his car. "You've spoken to Addie?" Derek asked. Mark looked to him nervously. "I spoke to her last month, she wanted me to give you this." Mark leaned over the seat, pulling out some papers, hanging them to Derek.

"Divorce papers? Funny" Derek laughed as he looked at the papers in his hand before glancing back to the road. They drove in silence as they made it into the city, finding a bar near the Space Needle.

They walked in, grabbing some drinks at the bar before sitting down. "So what have you been up to?" Derek asked as he took a big gulp of his scotch.

This is so needed.

"Nothing as interesting as you. But I have my long line of women, that's all I need" Mark laughed as they clinked classes. "Any women for you?" Mark asked. Derek laughed. "No" Derek laughed as he shook his head. "Amelia mentioned Meredith, who's she?" Mark wiggled his eyebrows at his friend. Derek shook his head. "A work colleague" Derek mumbled as he took a sip of his drink. "A hot one apparently" Mark nudged him a little but Derek just rolled his eyes. "I don't want to talk about it" he looked down at his drink.

As angry as he was at her for what she said about him and his kid, he also had the sinking feeling in his stomach that he'd just lost a friend: the person that made him laugh every morning, the person that was getting him through the clinical trial he'd spent 3 years preparing, the person that brought him dinner from the cafeteria and presented it like it was gourmet.

He laughed to himself over the time they'd spent together the last month. He knew she'd changed him, he could feel it. Everything seemed a little less mundane; the smallest things in life becoming small joys. He missed her, and maybe this the first time he was allowing himself to admit it.

"Hand me those papers" Derek said as he reached over to grab the divorce papers. Derek read through them as Mark watched him. Is he insane? "Dude, don't sign those here! I don't want to witness your divorce" Mark chuckled nervously. "Why? It's just a signature. My marriage ended years ago" Derek shrugged. He pulled the pen out his top pocket and scribbled his signature on the line.

"I'll fax these over in the morning, and if you see Addie, tell her that she can't hide my son from me forever" Derek said before he turned back to his drink. "Best of luck finding her, man" Mark said casually. Derek frowned. "Well you obviously know where she is. These papers are dated last week" Derek said before turning back to his drink again. He didn't care that his best friend was in contact with his ex wife, he only cared about his kid now, so long as he never saw Addison again.