thirteen.

present.

EMILY BRUSHED THE tangles that was in her jet black hair. today was the day that she had to go to he hospital like Joseph and her Social Worker — Denise— said.

apparently , her father was already in Rosarío and everytime she thought about it , her stomach churned. how was he going to react? how did he react when he found out?

was he mad? was his wife mad? she sighed and brushed all the negative thoughts out of her head. she put her hair in a high bun before putting the green cardigan over her white cropped top.

she applied mascara and lipgloss on her lips before taking her phone and meeting her grandparents downstairs for breakfast.

it was only 9:30 and she should be there at 1.
Louise smiled as she saw her grandaughter walk down the stairs. "morning hija" Louise smiled.

"morning , Em" David spoke. Emily went and kissed them both on the cheeks before sitting down next to her grandpa.

"oatmeal or pancakes?" Louise asked and Emily playfully rolled her eyes. "is that even a question , grams?" she asked. Louise chuckled.

"oatmeal it is" she said before disappearing into the kitchen again. Emily had loved oatmeal ever since she was little. of course she loved to eat pancakes as well , but she loved oatmeal the most.

Louise came back with a bowl of oatmeal and a plate of pancakes as she placed the pancakes in front of her husband.

"thank you , grams" Emily said and started putting sugar , granola and bananas in her oatmeal.

Louise sat on the opposite side of them. "so Em...are you ready for today?" Louise asked. Emily swallowed the food in her mouth.

"i am" she began confidently. "it's just...i don't have to see him today , right?" she asked , her eyes slightly wide.

David out his hand over hers and shook his head. "not today , this is all too much for both of you. maybe...tomorrow" he replied.

Emily took a sip of her orange juice. "what if he doesn't want to...see me?" she said the lasty part softly. her grandmother's eyes soften.

"when he finds out you're his daughter ,he will want to , hija. trust me" Louise said. Emily then frowned before swallowing her breakfast.

"doesn't a DNA test take days?" she asked. Louise shrugged. "not when you have a very popular lawyer and social worker at your side. you could get your results in less than 24 hours" Louise spoke.

Emily nodded her head and continued to eat her oatmeal. after a while of silently eating , Emily spoke up.

"what happens after?" she softly asked. there's no doubt that she's his daughter and he will want to take care of her.

"hija , we'll take care of that when the time comes" Louise said. Emily nodded her head. what if he wants her to move in with him and his family?

she didn't know how to feel about it. she didn't have any close friends around her that could make her stay , only her grandparents and her mother's grave.

they all finished eating and watched reality shows. Louise began washing the dishes and Emily rushed up to her room to brush her teeth.

after she was done , she put another coat of lipgloss over her lips and put on a necklace that her mother gave her last year.

it was a silver necklace with a locket. inside was a photo of them when Emily was just six years old.

her mother was smiling as she hold her daughter. she grabbed her phone and walked downstairs.

"how about we go to the market after the clinic and get you ice cream?" David tried to cheer his granddaughter up. it clearly worked as she smiled broadly. ice cream was the way to her heart.

"okay , sounds good" she smiled. they all headed out to the front door and Emily climbed into the back .

she buckled herself in and put in her earphones as they began to drive down the road. she softly closed her eyes as Ruel's Painkiller rang through her ears.

Emily thought of all the possibilities that could happen. he could either hate her or love her. what if he has a nasty wife?

Emily didn't want to be around people who didn't like her , it would make her feel like a burden. but then again , she still would have her grandparents to rely on if they're nasty to her.

the car came to a stop in front of a white building with big windows. she took out her earphone and put it in the back pocket of her jeans.

"this is it?" she asked and Louise nodded her head. "this is it ,Em" she spoke. Emily was hoping to the gods that he wouldn't be in there.

she buckled herself out of the seat and exited the car with her grandparents. she walked slowly next to her grandmother.

they entered and a man with a suit stood there. "Hello. so nice to see you again" Joseph greeted them and Emily waved at him with a faint smile.

"are you ready?" he asked and she nodded her head. "is...is he here?" she asked , her eyes flashing worry. Joseph smiled and shook his head. "no , he came in at 12 and left shortly" Joseph said.

Emily sighed out in relief and then Denise— her social worker— walked towards them. she was a small petite woman with dirty blonde hair and green eyes.

she was in dark blue attire and had a kind smile on her lips. "hi , Emily. " she greeted.

"hello Denise" she said with a small smile. Emily met Denise two days after her mother's accident. she was there to console the girl and stood by her side.

"if you are ready, you can come with me to take the sample for the test" Denise said. she looked at Louise who nodded her head with a smile and she followed Denise to a room.

Denise sat her down on a comfortable chair and in a second , another female doctor came in. "hi Emily. I'm doctor Eiza and i'm going to take a sample from you for the test" she explained.

Emily nodded her head. Dr. Eiza put on white elastic gloves on her hands and took some cotton swabs from her mouth.

Dr. Eiza took three of them and put them all in a container and Emily grimaced.

Dr Eiza smiled at the girl and took off her gloves.

"that's it , Emily. you're all ready to go"

———

A/N:
[hija — daughter]