Chapter 16

Alice POV

It happened fast, from tires squealing against the asphalt to the first gunshot ringing across the lot. My world suddenly became a blur of lights and silhouettes until my back met the side of the SUV.

Matsuo had roughly pushed me to cover as multiple gunshots fired, hitting the other side of the vehicle. Crouching, I stared directly into his eyes, listening to bullets ping against the car. I flinch when one pelt a car next to us.

Zhen fired his weapon over the car's hood, returning fire at our assailants. Then, out of habit, I reached for my gun on my hip.

"Fuck me." I hissed out when I remembered I no longer have my gun.

Matsuo grasped my shoulder, "Stay down!"

He moved toward the other end of the SUV, pulling out his own weapon from inside his suit jacket. The other men hid behind the second Cadillac SUV, firing their weapons. I clenched my fist and turned around to face the SUV, inching my way up to peer through the car window at whoever open fired at us. The headlights from their car flooded my vision, blinding me, then a bullet shattered the window as I covered my eyes in time with my arm.

I'm roughly pushed down by my shoulder again, meeting Matsuo's angry eyes glaring down at me.

"I said stay down, dammit!"

I shove his hand away, "At least give me a gun!"

Another bullet shattered the back passenger window causing Matsuo to shield me with his arm.

"Shit!" He gritted out, returning to his end of the SUV.

He stood at full height and peered around the side to fire his gun several times. Right now, I feel pretty damn useless, the only weapon I have is these stupid heels, but I think I'd be better off with a fucking gun!

Zhen ducked behind the SUV, dropping the empty clip, and replaced it just as quick. A pained yell came from the other SUV catching my attention. Len dropped back to cover, gripping his shoulder, which probably had a bullet lodged in it. This is turning out to be a shit show.

Matsuo groaned in Japanese, turning away from firing and tossing an empty clip. Fewer gunshots rang out from the unknown assailants meaning they must be retreating. I moved closer to Matsuo, standing cautiously beside him as glass crunched underneath my shoes. Up close, I noticed a rip in the sleeve of his jacket outlined in a deep red. With a click, he refilled his gun glancing sideways at me.

"You alright?" He asked breathlessly.

Just as I was about to nod my head the dark silhouette of a man in a suit emerged from behind a car. He must of broke away from his crew and sneaked his way closer to us.

My breath is catch in my lungs as I watched him bring his hand up, clutching a gun aiming directly at Matsuo. I took action, my hand darted out to Matsuo's placing my hand on top of his and fired three shots in succession. Three bullets were embedded into the man's chest, the wounds seeped blood spreading across his white shirt. I witness the man stagger back sputtering as the gun slipped from his hand while slowly crumbling to the ground. His body lulled flat against the concrete lifeless eyes gazing up at the night sky.

My hand still held Matsuo's with the gun in the air as I exhaled deeply. Another hand rested on my lower back bringing me crashing back to reality. Immediately, I sought out Matsuo eyes that were already watching me with a blank void swirling inside them. He lowered our hands not once breaking eye contact.

Noticing the shooting has ceased, I tossed a worried glance at the others. Len appeared to be the only one injured as the rest were incredibly pissed talking heatedly in Japanese.