Chapter 17

________Matsuo POV_________

With the office covered in shadows, I stare absentmindedly out of the window with only one thought on my mind; she saved me. Those three fucking simple words repeat like a broken record, constantly screeching like a bad song. I rubbed the back of my neck as a headache approached like a semi-truck, going full speed ahead. Then, I slammed my hand down upon the arm of my chair, vexed by the situation I must rectify.

"Fuck." I hissed when the cut on my left armed burned.

Then the lights flicked on, disorienting me momentarily until I turned around and faced Zhen, who had just walked into my office unannounced.

"What happen to your shirt?" He asked while taking his seat in front of my desk.

I didn't bother gracing his question with an answer. Instead, I leaned forward, elbows propped on my desk with my head between my hands.

"Well, Len was hit pretty bad. He'll need a few days to fully recover." Zhen informed me; however, I didn't pay attention. "Toma, are you listening?"

"No, and I don't care." I answer blandly.

Zhen released a puff of air, tapping his fingers on the armrest. "You're in a pleasant mood," his sarcasm didn't sit well.

In response, I simply glared.

"Oh, stop with that look, what has you pissed off?"

"Earlier during the ambush," I breathed out, sitting back in my seat.

"Yeah, what about it?" Zhen became intrigued and lifted a curious brow.

I stood up, grabbing a shirt from a nearby drawer near the bookcases. From the side, I can see him became impatient waiting for me to finish, but the next words to come out made my mouth dry. When I buttoned up my shirt, I stuck my hands in my pockets and then faced Zhen on edge.

"The cop saved me."

Zhen didn't speak assumably in awe in light of the situation. But, of course, that's expected, and the silence is pleasant, but it never lasts long around him.

"Shit."

I agree, "shit indeed. I want not a single word about this leaving the room. It's bad enough she did what she did, it's one thing if this leaves the room, so I need to absolve the matter fast."

Zhen listened, joining me by the window with his hands clasped behind his back.

"I want you and Ken tomorrow to find out what you can about who attacked us tonight." I switched to my professional side. "Brief Aaron about the shooting, I'm sure he can find footage somewhere to identify a plate or a face at least."

"Toma," Zhen spoke up, "You don't think it was your-

"No, no, he's not stupid." I cut into his anxious thoughts. "I have an idea who, but I want proof before I accuse the wrong person."

"Of course, wouldn't want to start a feud with the wrong organization." He turned away, walking toward the door. "I'll let you know when I find anything. You should sleep, you look like hell."

When I left my office, I headed downstairs to the bar. Before I took a shower, a nice stiff drink sounded nice. However, my choice of whiskey is missing from the shelf. Taking a step back, I scan the shelves from top to bottom for the liquor bottle.

"Fuck." I breathed out when it was nowhere to be found.

I heard a thump from the other side of the living room, and when I turned around, I noticed it came from the cop's room. She better not be up to no good, or I'll have to punish this woman. I walked to the door and found it wasn't closed all the way, with just a sliver of space to peek into the room. Peering through the crack, I noticed the lights were off, so I silently nudged the door open to find the bed empty.

Just as I was about to turn away to look for the cop thinking she had escaped, I heard another thud deeper in the room way on the other side. This time I step in and walk around the bed before stopping in my tracks.

Alice is sleeping on the floor with her back against the bed and facing the window. In her hand, she gripped the bottle of Jack Daniels that I was initially looking for. I bent down, taking the empty bottle out of her hand. That didn't seem to disturb her sleep in the slightest bit. The blanket the cop placed over herself fell from her shoulders. I turned around immediately when her body came into view, only clad in undergarments. She wore the lace bra and underwear, not even bothering to change into appropriate sleepwear.

Shit.

With my back to the cop, I slowly grabbed the blanket to place it back on her. I draped it over her as best I could and put the empty bottle on top of the dresser. When I look back over at the cop, I sigh, rubbing a hand down my face.

"Why did you save me?" I voiced my thoughts in a whisper.

Passed out and sleeping on the floor isn't ideal for comfortable night's rest. So, with that thought, I placed one hand under her legs and one on her back. When I did manage to lift Alice, she was heavier than I thought. Not that she's overweight, but she appeared to be in great shape. This is good because she isn't starving herself in protest of this arrangement. My shoulder started to burn from the injury that I strain when I carry Alice.

Alice nestled closer, resting her head on my shoulder. Eyes betraying me, they land on her supple lips.

Stop.

This is becoming to be borderline creepy and pathetic of me. So I place the cop on the bed under the sheets pulling it up to her shoulders. She resumed her sleep undisturbed, rolling onto her side.

Unbelievable. This cop, this sneaky woman, has me in her debt. Saves my life and has me tucking her into bed.

What am I doing?

I leave the room, closing the door behind me. This isn't good. I need to think of a way the clear this debt.

Thanks for reading. 📚

 📚