New Chapter 59

____Alice POV_____

Walking through the lobby, I couldn't help but notice the lingering stares and Matsuos hand on my waist. He held me impossibly close all the way out of the lobby. I would glance to the side a notice the subtle tick in his jaw. On instinct, I placed my hand on top his so his grip would ease. My poor hip didn't need another bruise.

Matsuo did loosen his grip when we walked out of the front doors of the Jade Palace. He then smirked when he turned to face me. Behind him, an all black foreign sports car pulled up with the engine revving. It is undoubtedly Matsuo's vehicle by they way he is flaunting his wealth.

"Wow, very subtle." I remarked with sarcasm.

Matsuo opened the passenger door for me, "Can't arrive in an SUV at the Gala. This occasion called for more class."

"You mean more money." I chuckled as I slid in on the exotic leather interior that matched the outside.

I unconsciously play with the diamond necklace when I feel my nerves tighten in my gut. There was something about tonight that I couldn't quite put my finger on it.

After Matsuo got into the driver's seat, he looked over at me. "For tonight-

"I know," I cut him off. "Be seen, not heard. I'll be on my best behavior."

"I was going to say have fun, smart ass."

From surprise, my eyes shoot to Matsuo with suspicion. That is certainly not how our agreement has been in the past. It's awfully brave of him to suggest that I have fun.

"You sure about that?" I clasped my hands in my lap as we pulled out onto the street.

"Yes, I am. I'm not saying get drunk like a fool like last time, but enjoy yourself, at least."

Unwelcome memories invade my mind as I remember my last drunken stupor. I still can't find the other shoe I lost that night.

"So, are you going to be the only criminal attending this charity Gala?" I steer the conversation else where.

Matsuo's hands tightening on the steering wheel didn't go unnoticed.

"Actually, I'm not," I glance at his disturbed tone. "Anthony and Serena will be there."

"You said to enjoy myself." I groaned with frustration. "I'll have to keep my head on a swivel between the two of them."

I might a well run into traffic head on. That would be just as or even more enjoyable then seeing the Italian snake tonight. Drinking sounded even more appealing after Matsuo gave me this new information.

"You asked." Matsuo poked fun at me.

Matsuo half smiled when I turned in my seat with a glare, he found my reaction amusing. Looks like I'll be spending my time at the bar trying to calm my ever going crazy nerves.

Shortly after our brief discussion, we arrive at the lively Gala fashionably late. I would rather not be here at all since Silicone Barbie will be joining us.

We were deep in Manhattan, a more familiar area that I have ventured into for work. The car slowed as we neared a particular building that had people flooding the front entrance. There is security and red ropes keeping the paparazzi at bay. We came to a full stop right in front of the building that I assume the Gala is being held.

A man in a red vest approached the car, straight to the driver's side. Matsuo was already out of the car, handing the car keys to the valet before I noticed him coming around to my side. He held open my door with his hand reaching out for me.