Chapter 45

Alice POV

Waking up was the worst idea on the morning of heading back to the penthouse. Once I finally fell asleep last night, which took a very long time, I was woken up by a loud knock on the door at the break of dawn. It didn't even feel like I'd fallen asleep, just closed my eyes and woke up a second later. I rolled out of bed and stumbled out of the blankets that were wrapped around my legs when I was in bed. I must've slept like a tornado, tossing and turning the entire time. Without a bit of concern as to who was on the receiving end of my bad mood this morning, I yanked open the door tiredly glaring at the intruder.

"Um.-" Matsuo stood lost for words in the doorway as he peered down at me.

My disheveled appearance took him by surprise; my top was wrinkled resting above my navel and my hair looked as if mice played in it to make a nest. I dare not to explain what my face probably looks like; I can only imagine the petrified zombie I resemble at this unholy hour. Normally, I'd feel self-conscious in this state around Matsuo, but I'm beyond too exhausted to care even the slightest bit about what he thinks. Finally, I raised my brows waiting for Matsuo to speak as he remained mute the entire time.

"We're leaving in 20 minutes." He said quickly before turning away on his heels, I watched him briskly walk and almost run away downstairs.

Unintentionally, I took longer than the time Matsuo gave me to be ready to leave. It was rough fixing and washing away the hot mess that I had when I woke up. When I fixed my attire to a somewhat decent standard, I finally joined Matsuo outside in front of the house. He stood impatiently in the driveway next to a black sports car I hadn't seen before. I haven't been paying much attention to what's been going on around lately. It is a very nice car that one of his men must've dropped off one of the days I hid in my room. As I walk down the steps, he removes his sunglasses to get a better look at me when I approach.

"You took your time." He stated quite flatly.

"Sorry to dampen your schedule to plot against your father, I've only had a rough couple of days but don't let that interrupt your scheming." I brush passed him climbing into the car.

Matsuo closed the door behind me after releasing a heavy sigh. Shortly after, he climbed into the car and then drove off, leaving his summer home and back to the city.

It felt like forever since I'd been to the penthouse, in a familiar sense it felt good to be back even under these circumstances. Even if I was rescued from one kidnapper, I still wind up back with my original kidnapper. Ain't that a kick in the pants.

When we stepped foot in the penthouse, Matsuo trailed closely behind me trying to reach for my arm however, I quickly dodged his hand.

"I'm going to bed." I rush off towards my room as he calls out to me.

As I open the door, I'm staring in awe at the new contents that now filled my room from top to bottom. I paused in the doorway looking at the room that is now stocked with wooden crates, illegal guns, and numerous stolen merchandise scattered about the room. As a detective, I've done enough raids to know that Matsuo must've ripped off someone of their goods.

You've got to be kidding me.

"What is this?" With a finger I point to my former bedroom now turned storage unit.

"A misplaced shipment of goods my father will be missing," Matsuo said bluntly closing the door to cut off my view of the weapons and more. "The penthouse is the only place I can store them safely until I dispose of them. The other rooms are filled up too, so you can use my room for now."

"Does that sound like a good idea?" I turned to face him with my arms crossed.

"We've shared my room before, shouldn't be a problem now unless there is something you need to tell me?"

Out of habit, I rolled my eyes, "Not that you moron, that." I gesture back to my room. "Do you think it's a good idea to steal your father's cargo, he already kidnapped me once I don't desire a round two."

He nodded rubbing the back of his neck thinking. When he lowered his hand, I could see that cut on his knuckle from yesterday. Not that I had sympathy for Matsuo at the moment, but he did seem to be carrying a lot on his shoulders going against his father.

"It's not a good idea, but it will rattle him. Like me, he's irrational and that's when he makes mistakes, so I'm counting on it." Matsuo replied stuffing his hands in his pockets. "I have work to do for today, so rest up."

Matsuo walked away upstairs leaving me alone in the living area. Thankfully, he turned right in the direction of his office in the opposite direction of his room. I sluggishly trudged up the stairs heading to the bedroom and took a much-needed deep breath. Inside his room is dark like a cave with no light whatsoever. I manage to not bump into anything surprisingly as I find my way to the back of the room, then blind myself when I pull open the curtains to the window beside the bed. Once my eyes finally focused, I met the beautiful view of the city I thought I'd never see again. My eyes longed to trace the skyline as I had always done before.

I leave a gap in the curtain before I walk over to the leather couch that I've slept on before. No matter how uncomfortable it is, I much rather sleep here than in Matsuo's bed. I glance over to the plush bed that did seem inviting when I fully laid on the couch. Not too long after my head hits the couch cushion, I fall asleep.

Thanks for reading. 📚