New Chapter 58

Matsuo POV

The whole day, a pit deepened in my stomach from a barrage of paranoid thoughts. It's very much not like me to have such disturbing inclinations of threats headed my way. The reports kept coming in from my best men, who had eyes and ears trained on my father's accounts and under-the-table dealings. So far, his credibility has dropped since his son has parted ways with him as well as his stocks. He's grasping for whatever is left behind, and it wasn't much.

From Aaron's report, I understand that all of my father's business in America is completely cut off. All of the properties were now mine to do with as I see fit. I had successfully driven out all of the remaining crumbs of his network from the USA.

The final push I needed came from that woman. That stubborn pain-in-the-ass woman that I've grown fond of.

Zhen's been with me all day, nervous, maybe even more than me. He's had a hand in all the carrying out orders without question. He stayed loyal as some of the others have, except for the man who stole my phone and orchestrated Alice and Zhen being kidnapped.

For once, I was the one running late for the evening. So much time was spent in the work office that I had to change into the tuxedo there. I patted my pocket for the small blue box that I picked up this morning to make sure I didn't forget it.

I raked with a new nervousness as the elevator ascended to the penthouse. With wishful thinking, I hoped Alice was ready, but even I knew better.

The elevator signaled our arrival, and a moment after stepping into the living area, I could hear the commotion coming from Alice's room. The corners of my mouth tugged up as I listened.

Zhen circled me, heading straight to the bar, giving me a cheeky smirk.

My smile quickly faded, "What."

With my glare pinned on Zhen, he dropped his eyes down to the glass on the counter. Then, his eyes shot up to the door, opening to Alice's room. My eyes quickly found hers as soon as she stepped out of the room.

My eyes, on their own accord, traced down the dress Alice wore, no, bodied to another level. A well-placed slit trailed up to her mid-thigh that gave a wonderful peak at her tanned skin. However, nothing compares to her eyes that pierced right through me. I can tell my staring was becoming too much by the way she fidget with her hands. Yet, I am a greedy man who indulged myself in admiring Alice for a moment longer.

"Come here." My voice came out a bit more sensual than demanded.

The visible embarrassment painted Alice's cheeks, a sultry shade of peach. With Anne and Zhen watching our exchange, that seems to cause Alice to stumble as she approaches.

It kept all my will to keep from reaching out and touching Alice. I cleared my throat, looking over at Zhen.

"The bar is closed, you may leave."
I softened my tone when I directed my attention to Anne. "Thank you so much for today, I already have your payment sent to your account."

I could hear Zhen scoff as he walked away from the bar, but still held a glass in his hand.

"Ooh, there's no need for that. Today was tons of fun." With a bashful grin, she nudged Alice with her arm.

"Glad the two of you had fun," I appreciate Anne for accompanying Alice today.

As much as I admire Alice and Anne's friendship produced from the strangest of circumstances, I wanted a moment alone with Alice.

Zhen and Anne took their leave, getting into the elevator. When the doors slid closed, my eyes remained on Alice. I visibly see her draw in a quick and shy breath. Irritation that I knew all too well creased her brows.

"What?" She snapped with little ferocity.

One corner of my lips twitched up, "You're beautiful."

That certainly caught Alice by surprise. Her cheeks became pinkish once again, which made me take a step closer.

"That's thanks to Anne. She's great at what she does." She dodged my compliment.

"No," I shook my head. "You're beautiful."

I repeated myself while entranced. Alice straightened her posture from my unreserved administration.

"I have something for you."

That seemed to get Alice to look me in the eyes with interest, but only for a moment. I stepped around her while grabbing the small Tiffany box out of my pocket. The simple diamond necklace sparkled when I opened the package.

"You cut your hair." I make notice as I place the jewelry around her neck. She swept her hair aside as I clasped the necklace. "It suits you."

I was talking about both Alice's new hair and necklace when I faced her again. She looked down, fiddling with the delicate diamond. I reached forward without thinking and lightly grazed my hand against her collarbone when I adjusted the jewelry. The warmth on her tinted cheeks traveled down to her chest when my hands returned to my sides. I had to banish the thought of seeing how much further down Alice's body her blush roamed. She was already embarrassed, and we needed to be on our way despite my desires.

I outstretched my hand to her. "You're ready?"

"As ready as I'll ever be." She took my hand as well as picked up the train of her dress.

Thank you for reading 📚