Chapter 19

________ Alice POV________

In the wee hours of the morning, I was in bed facing the window and traced my eyes along the buildings. The comforter was wrapped around me like a cocoon of safety and solitude. Only my toes stuck out along with my head.

Since Anne left yesterday, I've remained in bed like a hermit. I have yet to see Zhen or Matsuo. However, not seeing him worried me. There's no telling what that man is thinking.

The urgent knocking came from the other side of the door, which made me groan while smothering my face into the mattress. I am not ready to face these assholes today. I'm on the edge of a psychotic episode if one more person pushes me too far. The door swung up, and I expected Zhen to make some crap comment or a load of bullshit threats.

"Alice!"

Anne shrieked, causing me to jolt up in utter surprise. She wore a smile despite her shrill tone, standing in the room dressed in a simple blouse and skirt.

"What, what's wrong?" I panicked when I sat up and unraveled from the comforters.

"You have to get dressed." Anne walked up to the closest, throwing open the doors.

I frowned at the thought of dressing as Matsuo's "mistress."

"Please, no tight dresses this time. Spare me the discomfort." I threw myself back on the bed.

Anne snorted, turning to face me, a smile gleaming joyfully on her face.

"Don't worry, you're not going out as a mistress today. You're going out with me to breakfast," she happily announced. "Today, I'm going to be your babysitter."

I narrow my eyes, confused by this sudden change of routine. This has to be Matsuo's doing. At least I'm not forced to spend time with him today, so it's not so bad. I return Anne's smile standing up and walking over to the closet. This time I pick out my attire of jeans and a thin t-shirt.

As Anne said, we went out for breakfast. However, due to Matsou's rules, I can't leave the hotel unattended. So we took the elevator down to the floor where one of the restaurants was located.

My usual entourage accompanied Anne and me to our table, sitting at a table beside us. Len, Yang, and two new faces sat at the table, ordering nothing to monitor me.

Len sat adjacent to me with an arm in a sling. He must've gotten injured that night as well. Luckily that is all that happened. Our eyes locked for a moment, and I was the first to look away and down at my hands.

Then Anne must've noticed, clearing her throat to draw my attention.

"So, the pancakes are very delicious, and the omelets are light as air." She pointed to the menu.

I took Anne's comments into account when looking over the menu. The menu is simple, composed mostly of breakfast and lunch items. Most of the food was things I'd never eaten or could even pronounce.

Glancing around, I'm genuinely in 'aw' at the restaurant's elegance. Large windows allow light to filter into the dining area. Tables were draped with pale blue clothes and set with fine cutlery that cost just over the amount of my monthly rent. The hotel guests sitting at other tables seemed more proper and regal than me. I simply sat in a tee shirt paired with jeans, slouching with my elbows on the table.

"Good morning," our waiter had approached. "What can I get you?"

"I'll have the blueberry pancakes with a side of bacon," Anne ordered first, then handed her menu to the young man.

Up next was me, still unsure and not eager to eat with all the thoughts plaguing my mind.

"And for you ma'am?"