Chapt 36

Celeste

"You're insufferable." I murmur, standing to my feet as the crowd at the large, round table begins to disintegrate. Similar to what he does all the time, he helps me out of my chair with no worries, and I step aside as he pushes it back under.

I can hear the cracks of his smile due to how quiet it has gotten since a few minutes ago. "And you love me for it." Yes, I do. He slides his hand across my back as reflex, but hurriedly pulls it back down as to keep our disguised image.

He manages to keep his hand to himself as we follow the still murmuring, probably about what he spilled, crowd, through a single door and along the freshly waxed floors. The table had gone quiet until my father announced that the 'Bid Auction' would be held in the room just beside this one. Two lovely men dressed in black dress pants and white suit shirts stand on either side of the arches in the doorway as we enter. It is a completely different scene from the dining area we've just left. The floors are thinly carpeted, the walls are dark blue, and the seats and tables are silver and white. My father's done well.

I make a swift turn to look at my father behind me, making his feet stop trailing for the next step. His brows lift as to ask me of what I need. "Is there any reason you've hidden the details of what will be set up for auction this evening?" I ask. I turn back around and begin to walk forward, walking between my mother and father. Xyle has quickly noticed my absence, but keeps moving further, going deeper into the room.

"Yes, sweetheart, but I can tell you one thing," he leans closer to my ear and lowers his voice "someone will be lucky to rent out one of my old homes for a vacation." He says and my eyes go wide. He'd only ever rent out one location, his best one. He got a place in Georgia where he and my mother would vacay to when they wanted to get away from everyone. I've never been, but I hear there's a large pool, at home movie theater, and pool room all in one house.

I smile, giddy on my feet before I take a few quick steps away from him. I wonder who that lucky person will be.

My eyes immediately search the room for Xyle, and I find him standing near a table, a hand touching a fresh piece of fruit out on the small bouquet each table has. I go over to him, and take a strawberry. Biting into it, I look at those gray eyes, seeing the happiness in them. He's the only man I know to be happy after getting everyone's underwear in a bunch at the dinner table.

"I want to use the bathroom before the auctioning starts. Can you promise me you'll be good?" I ask, pulling the strawberry away from my mouth. He raises an eyebrow. I hurry to turn away.

"Can't make any promises." His voice grows faint as I walk the opposite way from him. The sound of the music grows faint as well, and it really disappears when I walk into the bathroom. I can hear the short sounds of a small cry that subtly sucks itself up the moment I arrive. The tall and beautiful brunette Caliver arrived with stands by the mirror, her eyes unshed with tears.

I can tell she feels utterly embarrassed by the way she gives me a quick smile as she brings her hand to her face to wipe away her tears from her eyes. "Sorry," she chuckles "I'm a mess." she murmurs. She pulls a napkin from her purse. "I hope you don't think I knew any of that stuff Xyle mentioned. I mean, God. I knew he was crazy, but his wife's ring?".

I don't know what encouraged Caliver to ever do such a thing, but he must know his actions are horrendous. Eleanor being sixteen, him abusing her, him not giving her a proper burial. It is all so disgusting.

"The right thing to do would be to give this to Xyle, right? He can return it to his mother and make things right." She sniffles as she turns away from the mirror and looks at me. "Or maybe, you could have it. I'm sure he won't mind."