Chapt 40

Xyle

Guilt washes over me as I look down at my cellphone. The time is now a bit after seven and Celeste has yet to respond to any of my texts or missed calls.

I press send to the text message remaining in the text box.

Persephone: I had drinks with a few colleagues. Is that why you're avoiding me?

My eyebrows knit together as I trace my eyes along the lines. I don't know where I could have went wrong. Drinks were well over an hour and a half ago, I have not missed dinner with her. I am more than ready for what I promised her. I have red wine and the groceries will be delivered to her home soon to make dinner. I type up another message to send her.

Persephone: I had no clue you wanted me back to you as soon as work was done. I was invited to a bar and I didn't want to decline like always.

I wait a few moments. My message doesn't even send. I press the power button and stuff my phone into my pants pocket. I don't know how to make up for something I have no clue of being my wrongdoing, but I will try. I step into my closet and tug down a fresh suit and crisp shirt. I plan to stay the night at her place even if she demands I sleep on the floor or couch, in which I hope she doesn't punish me so harshly. Going out into the bedroom again I pull a drawer open and take a pair of new underwear to add to what I'm taking. I go a step further to take a pair of sleeping pants and a shirt. She might want me to be fully clothed tonight if she's angry.

I stuff it all into one bag before pulling my phone out to check for any sign of her. She still doesn't respond, and my message doesn't go through, either. I huff as I walk down the stairs and to the front door. I lock my place up and get into my car. I start my car with a heavy heart and go onto the road. I'll really need to make an impression if I want her to forgive me. There aren't many stores open similar to the small shop that sells the best flowers, she closes at five, so I drove to the nearest Walgreens. Their flowers are always nice... as an alternative I guess. I'll get her some chocolates as well.

The moment I arrive I turn my engine off and hurry to get out. I really shouldn't be another minute late if that's what she's mad at me about.

I'm lucky to find that the store has little customers. I go down to the isle that has flowers and pick up the biggest bouquet I can find. It holds a few different flowers, but what sticks out to me is that it has purple hydrangeas. They mean a lot to me and I'm sure they mean a lot to her as well.

I walk down another isle to find her a cute card I could quickly write in.

Get well soon!

No. She's not sick.

Happy birthday!

Not her birthday, thought this would have mattered a few months ago when it was. I'm still pained I forgot about such a big day for her.

Congratulations!

She's not graduating or with child.

I love you to the moon and back!

Basic, but it is the only thing making sense to me right now in my fucked up head. I pull the card down and stuff it into the bouquet.