Six

[ Breakin' My Heart x Mint Condition ]

lılı.lıll ▶︎ ılı.ıllı.

Josiah

"Alright Unc, Imma catch you later!" I yelled, tossing my skates and Raegan's into the trunk of my car. The rink hadn't completely closed yet but I figured if we wanted to find a decent food spot it was better we left now. It was nearing ten o'clock and most places were walready closing up.

"Alright Nephew. It was nice to meet you, pretty lady. I hope we see you again sometime." He yelled approaching the passenger door to open it for her. I shook my head watching her climb into the car. He shut the door before smirking in my direction.

"Look like you caught you one Baby." He teased, reaching out to dap me up.

"Yeah, and Imma make sure to keep her far away from yo ass." I sucked my teeth watching him look back towards the car.

"Ion want no trouble, young blood." He pulled me into a hug, "Aye but let me borrow a couple bucks til Friday. I know you got me Neph." He asked. I nodded, sticking my hands into my pockets in search of my wallet. I pulled out a few hundreds and smacked them into his hand with another hand shake.

"Stay safe out here Unc." I patted his back.

"Good looks. Tell My I'll be stopping by soon." He said as I shook my head at the empty promise. My mother tried to get him clean for years to no avail. He'd broken her last strand of patience before he'd actually made the effort to get clean. From what I knew they hadn't spoken in months.

"Did you have a good time?" I asked Rae once I started the car. She'd been pretty quiet on the way out making her even harder to read. I didn't expect her to be an open book right away but her silence had me worried. I could tell she was nervous the second she walked out of her apartment, shit I was too. I couldn't remember the last time I'd taken a girl on an actual date. One I'd strategically planned, and curated. I didn't know her from a can of paint so I had nothing to work with, with that being said I brought her to the loudest place I could think of. I hadn't thought about the fact that we'd spend more time skating than talking, even after spending hours together, I still knew nothing about her. She'd been in her head for most of the day and I wanted to know what was going on inside it. I'd hoped bringing her around so many of my people wasn't an issue but I could see how the date could've been overwhelming.

"Yeah, that was fun. A lot of fun actually." She nodded, taking out a pack of gum from her purse.

"Hungry?" I chuckled, hoping to turn this around quickly.

"Starving." She nodded, as I shifted the car into gear.

"Seafood or Soul food?" I followed up, turning to pull out of the parking spot.

"Soul food sounds amazing." She said in a low tone. I nodded heading in the direction of my all time favorite plate of the 'itis'.

"They're about to close, so we won't be able to eat inside. It's cool tho, it's getting late. I don't want to keep you out all night." I could barely see under the dim streetlights and the blue lights from my dashboard.

"Yeah, that's fine." She agreed as a wave of relief took over me. I didn't want her to think I was up to no good. After picking up two of the usual we made our way back to her place. She grabbed the takeout containers and I jumped out to open her door.

"You wanna come up...to eat?" She asked once I walked her inside her building, "I mean unless you have somewhere to be." She turned and looked up at me doe eyed. It was clear neither of us were ready for the night to end once again.