Forty Two

[ Pray x Sam Smith ]

lılı.lıll ▶︎ ılı.ıllı.

Omniscient

The waiting room was still, cluttered with words left unsaid. Taven's muffled cries echoed across the walls of the nearly empty waiting room. She'd been on her way to the barbecue when she got the call, Vice by her side. He'd been the one to drive her to the hospital seeing as she could barely repeat the news she'd gotten over the phone. Maia clung to her side now, having already prayed at least five times since they'd arrived almost three hours ago. Willow forcibly took Vice's place clinging to her other hand as their tears flowed silently. The women sat impatient but hopeful, until they heard footsteps rushing down the hall. Taven didn't recognize him as his hood was pulled over his head and sun-glasses covered his bruised face; she almost mistook him for Josiah. Jabari rushed into the room snatching off his tinted frames, their sad expressions made his knees go weak.

"Is she alright?! What's going on?! Somebody tell me something?!" He asked, snatching away as Jedidiah tried to grab his arm, in an attempt to calm him.

"She's still in surgery, Jay. The doctors haven't come back out." Gold made her way over to them wrapping him in a hug he didn't have the time to reject. Jabari took no news as good news but he was still panic-stricken. After the ambulance took Raegan, the police took him, and Josiah into custody. He wasn't even interviewed before the police were letting him go, Josiah had taken the blame, meaning they would look no further into the case. They hadn't even interviewed Willow or Gold before they drew their conclusions.

Taven, whose cries had only turned into sobs, looked up at Jabari for answers. Gold moved to the side, clearing his path acknowledging the remorseful look on his face. As if her tears were contagious Jabari's face matched her's by the time he sat down next to her.

"I'm going to give your Mother a call, okay sweetie." Maia whispered gently, letting go of Taven's shaking hands. Taven only nodded, using the sleeves of Vice's jacket to wipe her tears. Jedidiah followed Maia out of the waiting room silently, while they had all the questions in the world they knew now wasn't the time to ask. Willow took a seat opposite of Vice giving the two a moment alone.

"I–I'm sorry Tav." He spoke beneath her cries.

"What happened? I mean, I just talked to her this morning and now she is fighting for her life in somebody's O.R? Is there something ya'll are not telling me?" Her words were almost inaudible even for Vice who tried to listen with strained ears. He'd spent most of his time protecting the both of them, so if there was someone he needed to be on the lookout for he needed to be well aware of the threat.

"I'm still tryna figure that shit out. Josiah wouldn't say much." Jabari lied but Taven saw right through it.

"I know it better be handled."

"If it weren't for your sister, we'd both be in a body bag right now. You can trust me when I say it's handled." He reassured her. Taven only nodded staring down at the worn tiles in the hospital waiting room,"They just got fucking engaged and now this shit." Jabari swallowed a lump in his throat. Taven's head snapped towards him and her eyes grew wide. Josiah wasn't exactly traditional and seeing that Raegan was at odds with her Mother and she'd lost her father. He only felt it was right that he'd asked Taven for her hand in marriage. Of course Taven was hesitant but she trusted him and she knew her sister would've killed her if she'd told him no. He'd asked her weeks ago and it wasn't until now that she realized he was actually serious about the whole thing.