Forty Four

[ Lose Each Other x Teyana Taylor ]

lılı.lıll ▶︎ ılı.ıllı.

Josiah

Five Years Later

"Davis!" The guard yelled, banging his baton on the top of my rack creating a God awful ringing that never failed to wake me from my sleep.

"Stevens get yo bitch ass out of here on that bullshit!" Dee yelled from his racks throwing a cup at him. Stevens dodged the cup continuing to bang, this time even louder.

"Alright you can stay yo ass in here and grow old with Dee pissy ass." Stevens smirked as I looked up at him dumbfounded.

"What the fuck you talking about?" I questioned wiping the crust from my eyes.

"Did you forget lil nigga? You're going home today, birthday boy. Ain't that the perfect gift from God." Stevens remarked,"I'll give you thirty minutes to say your goodbyes. Roll it up nigga!" He barked before disappearing out the door. I wanted to tell him I only needed five, but when I jumped down from my racks and met my reflection in the mirror I realized I needed more than that. My locs hung down now past his chest but I hadn't bothered with them in over two months, the new growth made me look like a caveman. The fact that I'd involuntarily grown a full beard didn't help either.

"You want me to fade you up right quick? Can't have you walking out scaring the hoes." Dave sat up from his racks reaching for his clippers already. I nodded and began brushing my teeth while he went down to get a chair.

"I know I ain't heard you outta here B. Tell me they lying." Vincent, my first bunkmate, entered the room with a towel thrown over his shoulder and a toothpick stuck between his teeth.

"Nah, you heard right, motha fucka." I smirked while doing the Dougie which he immediately joined in on.

"Y'all lil niggas still childish." Dee shook his head as he made his way back in the room,"Now come on before Stevens bitch ass get to tripping, y'all know he only cool for a hot minute." Dee reminded us. It was the truth. Stevens gave me a hard time in the beginning but after a few years he let up. He tried to pretend it was a tough love situation but I knew he was just trying to break me. Tough love didn't send niggas to the hole for sleeping in during yard time. He was a fucking menace to society and I was glad to be from up under his watchful eye. I was given a release date almost a year ago and made a promise to myself that I wouldn't count down the days. I hadn't even taken a look at the date let alone realized it was my birthday.

"Don't forget about us B." Dee smirked, hiding the tears in his eyes. I felt bad for Dee, he was doing life and would most likely die behind these walls. I wasn't the first person he'd called a friend and had to see walk out these doors without him. I couldn't say he was a completely changed man but he didn't deserve to die in a cell for a crime he committed in his twenties.

"You know you my boy for life Dee. Imma make sure you straight the second I get out." I reassured him.

"You ain't gotta do that. Imma always be straight. You just keep your head up and take care of them babies." He smirked as I nodded knowing I would still keep my word. I would do the same for Vincent. Both had shown their loyalty to me in a way I couldn't repay them enough for. They'd made sure I hadn't spent the last five years contemplating slitting my throat and ensured another nigga didn't do it for me. I was grateful for them beyond words, "If you really wanna look out, check up on my boy, Sincere when you get out." He slipped me a small piece of paper with an address scribbled on its surface. Dee had a ten year old son, Malachi, outside of here, who I had plenty of conversations with to pass the time. He was a smart kid, and I made a promise to Dee that I would take care of him when I got out. It was a promise I intended to keep.