Forty Three

[ Love On the Brain x Rihanna ]

lılı.lıll ▶︎ ılı.ıllı.

Josiah

Hearing the cell doors open and close became the trigger for a flood of anger. They slammed behind me echoing across the empty walls of my cell leaving me to contemplate every decision I'd ever made on a constant loop. Still, I had few regrets. I climbed to the top of my racks and made myself as comfortable as possible. I'd been caged inside this cell for three weeks now but those weeks dragged on like months especially with the fact that I wasn't allowed visitors and my phone calls were limited. At this point my lawyer was begging me to take it to trial hoping he could get me off on self defense, but I knew my options. If they looked into the case they would only find that the bullets were from two separate guns one of which was covered in Raegan's finger prints. They'd probably already figured that out but right now they were under the impression that they had who they wanted, and I wanted to keep it that way. Even if they did go digging further, I knew they wouldn't risk letting me go in hopes someone would come clean about what actually happened. Right now I was facing time for one count of voluntary manslaughter after they determined Anthony being on the scene was premeditated through his text messages. They'd ruled his murder as self defense before I was even booked. I was prepared to take whatever time they gave me for his accomplice if it meant Raegan and Jabari would walk free.

"Yo B!" There was a knock at my cell door, "Aye, pop fifty-seven!" He yelled over the railing. My door opened and in walked Dave but everybody called him Dee. It didn't take me long to figure out who was in charge here seeing as he was damn near sitting at the security guards desk when I was brought in. He already knew who I was, the streets talked. Apparently Anthony had been looking for me since the day I fucked him up outside of Walmart. Just like any stalker out for revenge he'd went looking. Anthony had a lot of enemies, Dee was one of them. He waited to express his gratitude till my second week here. I noticed him watching me from day one and I knew he was just waiting to see what he would do with me. I wasn't into gang's or street beef but here there wasn't much of a choice. I had to pick a side, and hope I picked the right one. But then again I didn't pick Dee, he picked me.

"You in here sobbing again nigga?" He chuckled climbing to the top of my racks.

"Nigga what the fuck you want?" I sat up as he made himself comfortable.

"Calm down jumpy motha fucka, it's for you." He pulled out a flip phone shoving it in my direction.

"Who is it?" I asked skeptically.

"Nigga answer the phone!" Dee sucked his teeth before sitting up and climbing down from the bed. He made himself occupied on the bottom bunk while he waited.

"Yo." I put the phone to my ear.

"Wassup nigga." His menacing laugh almost made me crush the device into tiny pieces,"Chill out man, I come in peace." He must've sensed my anger even through the phone.

"What do you want?" I didn't have to ask how he knew Dave. It was obvious when I got here this was the same place Rose had been locked up. His name still rang in the yard, apparently Dave took his place when he left.

"To help you. I was just in your shoes, remember." His tone changed and I knew it was genuine but I wasn't looking for any favors.

"I didn't ask for your help. Thanks, but I'm straight." I shook my head.

"Nigga–how you still fucking arrogant sitting on a cold ass cot. You know what, talk to this nigga man." I heard the phone hit something before another voice replaced his in the speakers, a voice that brought tears to my eyes.