Thirty Five

[ Always There x Ain't Afraid ]

lılı.lıll ▶︎ ılı.ıllı.

Omniscient

The rumble of the tires running over smooth gravel was deafening through the thick silence in the car. It was a repeat of the silence they'd sat in on their first date. Only this time words were being left unsaid and lines were being drawn.

"I want to go home." Raegan mumbled from the back seat when his truck flew past her exit. Josiah was silent, still stuck in the whirlwind from earlier,"I said take me home." This time she said it in full voice and knew he didn't miss it.

"You good." He shook his head, continuing to swerve through traffic.

"I'm not fucking good. I want to go home. I don't even know why you came and got me, I blocked you for a reason." She rolled her eyes watching him clench the steering wheel tighter. Josiah could hear in her tone she was well past her limit.

"What's your issue Raegan? You leave this morning without saying a word now I'm blocked. I'm honestly sick of the shit. You love doing this passive aggressive shit and expecting me to figure out what the fuck is bothering you." He sighed deeply. Raegan's eyes grew wide in shock. At first she thought his ignorance was a ploy to keep their friends out of their business but he really had no idea what he'd done. She sat up in her seat climbing between the center console into the passenger seat. Josiah reached out to help her but she swatted his hand away before plopping down in the seat.

"You were that high last night?" She glared at him through the darkness that was only slightly illuminated by the lights in his dashboard.

"I had a lot of shit going on. I'm sorry if I pissed you off, I ain't mean to get that fucked up." He just wanted to resolve the issue before it became a bigger one. At the time he wasn't thinking of the consequences of being in that state in Raegan's presence.

"Did you fuck her?" The question made his head snap in her direction and almost miss his exit.

"Fuck who? What the fuck are you talking about?" He frowned,"This is about that stripper? Raegan what type of shit you think I be on?"

"I'm not talking about the stripper, I'm talking about Morgan!" She flipped, no longer wanting to hold it in.

"What? Why would you ask me if I fucked Mo? I don't know what Willow told you but–"

"I'm not stupid, I may not have been valedictorian but I'm not fucking stupid." Raegan slurred as her blood began to boil.

"Raegan...what are you talking about?" He pinched the bridge of his nose.

"Willow didn't tell me shit. You did! When you called her name while you nutted in me you sick mother fucker!" Even though she knew their lives were in his hands Raegan couldn't stop herself from swatting him in the head as he ducked away from her.

"Stop before we both end up dead!" Josiah's eyebrows furrowed as his fist clenched the wheel, and Raegan swung again,"Raegan I swear I didn't call you her name. You must've been hearing shit, I mean Raegan and Morgan do sound alike." He argued as she clenched her fist, to the point where she almost broke skin before taking a deep breath.

"I'm going to stop talking before I slap the shit out of you. Take me home." She leaned back, drowning him out completely. When she didn't say anything a chill ran down Josiah's spine realizing she hadn't misheard him at all. His memories of the night before were still fuzzy. The cold look in Raegan's eyes told him he'd better remember quickly.

"Baby I was drunk. I was texting her before I got in the bed, I don't remember it but if I did I didn't mean too. I would never disrespect you like that." He spoke once he pulled into his driveway.