Chapter 25: Luke

Vote. Comment. Enjoy!

-

Two months later

-

-Ella's Pov-
"Kennedy, Do you have the answer to number 3 cause it's not making any sense?" I ask. She turns in her seat and shows me the steps to the math problem and I feel even more hopeless.

"What's the point of math? I'm not gonna be an engineer or something that needs math like this," I complain. She playfully rolls her eyes before finishing her work. By the time I finish the page the bell is already ringing signaling lunch.

"Did you decide whether you are coming to the guys' performance or not?" She asks as we meet up with Jessie and Allison. They are in their uniforms putting their stuff away into their lockers.

"I'm gonna go. I haven't seen them perform in a while and I feel kind of bad," I point out.

"Thank god. Luke won't stop ranting about how you should get over your fear of talking to Calum and see him play. He misses seeing his little sister cheering him on," she says making me feel terrible. We walk to our normal table and start trading answers for our other classes. We were lucky enough to have most of the same classes just at different times. So we have decide on what subject to do the homework in and trade them. But Kennedy forces me to do the math on my own cause I'll never learn this way.

"I guess I'll meet you guys at the bar. I have study hall last period and I'm going to use that to nap," I smile.

————

"Ella, you can't keep calling me for help with math homework. I graduated last year," Shawn says over the phone.

"Alright one last question and then we can talk about your album," I promise. He shakes his head and leads me through the steps and I finally understand the stupid formula. Senior year sucks and I wish I was smart enough to graduate early, "Please tell me your album comes out soon?" I ask.

"Soon I promise. It's going through a bunch of executives and they are planning some promo shit," he tells me.

"That's so exciting. I can already see it. Shawn Mendes the next heartthrob that's stealing hearts around the nation," I announce.

"Yeah right. I'd be lucky if I sold a thousand albums let alone a world tour," he says. He starts explaining the process to me about how he got in this position and I think about the guys. I don't want to put Shawn in a weird position by asking him to pass a demo to one of his managers.

"What are you doing tonight?" He asks as I get off my bed to look in my closet.

"The guys are playing a show and I promised I would go," I tell him. He gives me a sympathetic look knowing practically everything about the situation. I feel bad that he's the only one who knows about the rooftop confession...I just can't bring myself to say it again.

"Is this the first one since I left?" He inquires. I shake my head and he tells me he's happy that I'm going, "It will be nice go get out of the house again," he points out.

"I'm just nervous but it will be fun. I'll let you go have fun while I contemplate outfit choices," I say with a smile. He says a quick goodbye before hanging up. I change into a pair of old jeans and a t-shirt. Simple but cute. I throw on a flannel and grab my phone seeing a text from Kennedy.

"Do you want to be picked up or are you driving there?" She asks. I text back that I'm driving and plug in the address. Once I pull into the parking lot I can already tell a lot of people here. I park my car near the back where the open spots are and quickly get inside. I see the girls sitting at a table near the front. I go straight to the bar and ask for a soda. I thank the bartender and head over to the table already feeling anxious.

"Glad you made it," Jessie says, passing me some fries. The four of them get on stage about ten minutes later. Luke introduces themselves and does their usual routine for promoting themselves. Luke finally looks at the table and his smile doubles when he sees me sitting there. He nods his head at Michael and he looks over. He waved at me enthusiastically before strumming his guitar. The intro to Heartbreak Girl starts playing and we all cheer. I love this song.

———

"Guys that was amazing," Kennedy says pulling Luke in for a hug.

"There's a scout in the audience we really want to impress. Shawn sent one of our demos to a recording studio and he determines wether we get signed," Luke tells us.

"But no pressure right?" Michael says looking nervous. Ashton slings an arm around my shoulder and gives me a side hug.

"Been awhile little Hemmings," he states. I nod my head and steal another fry. They start talking about the guy who's been on the phone with someone since they ended their performance. They would be crazy not to sign them.

"Did you guys wanna order food?" Michael asks. I shake my head and sit content with the fries on the table. Just as Michael starts looking at a menu the executive pulls Luke to the side. They all stand their with wide eyes trying to listen in on what he's saying. Please....juet please be good news. Luke shakes the man's hand and comes back to the table with a straight face.

"It's okay...there will always be another label to sign you guys," Kennedy says, grabbing his hand.

"WE GOT THE SPOT," he yells, throwing his hands up in celebration. Kennedy throws her hands around him and kissed him in celebration as Jessie and Allison do the same. I look at Calum and he's never looked happier. He gives me a small smile and I mouth the word congratulations to him. Luke tackles me in a hug and I can't help but laugh in excitement.

"We have to celebrate tonight. Call everyone you know," Ashton says, jumping around.

"Ashton it's a Thursday night," Allison points out.

"Ummmm I seem to recall a Thirsty Thursday this summer that was pretty exciting," he says.

"We have school tomorrow," Jessie says.

"Come on just for a little bit. You can leave for school at the apartment," Michael says trying to convince them.

"I still have homework to complete so I'll see you guys at the next one," I tell them. I wave goodbye and grab my keys out heading to my car. I hear some jogging behind me and start walking quicker to my car. I hear him call out and recognize the voice instantly.

"Ella, wait up," he repeats. I stop right in front of my car and hesitate turning around, "can we please talk?" He asks his voice sounding calm.

"What's there to talk about?" I ask, turning back around to get in my car. I close my door and pull out watching him stand there starring at my car. When I get home I can't decide between doing my homework or crying myself to sleep. I figure sleeping would be the cure to everything. I change into my pajamas and see my phone light up on my nightstand.

Kennedy: Are you okay? I saw Calum chase after you when you left?

Ella: I'm okay. Did you decide on going to the party?

Kennedy: yeah I'm headed there now. I finished all my hw and I have study hall last period

Ella: have fun

Kennedy: NIGHT

Ella: NIGHT

————

I wake up to my phone incessantly going off next to me and groan. Who would be calling this late? I pick up the phone and hear Kennedys voice worried on the other end.

"Ella.....there's been an accident," she cries on the other end.

"What happened?" I whisper, hearing sirens in the background.

"It's Luke. Calum's on his way to pick you up," she says. The air immediately leaves my lungs hearing the desperation in her voice. All my motions are blurred at the thought of Luke being hurt. He has to be okay.