Chapter 7: Octo Oven

*BANG*

"Hey there we go! You managed to cover the entire target, causing it to burst!" Marie cheered as you lowered your splattershot.

You had spent the last few days coming back to the octo canyon to continue your training. So far, you had still managed to keep Pearl and Marina in the dark, plus were not late to meet them in the evening. This proved to ease Marina's nerves, but she still worried.

"The training is paying off! I think I really am getting the hang of this!" You smiled, just as you heard the clanging of metal. "Sounds like Four is back."

"Oh that is good timing! That's all of them! She's recovered enough of the Zapfish to open the boss kettle!" Marie was smiling wider now. Finally, she seemed to be perking up with the amount of progress Four or Echo was making.

"Here I am!!!" The agent exclaimed as she walked up to Marie, with one of the Zapfish in her arms. You had watched her bring a few back by now, and you thought they were actually pretty cute.

"Excellent work Four! We are now ready to go after the boss kettle! Once...you've had a bit of a rest if you so wish." Marie took the Zapfish from Echo, who sighed with relief as she turned to you.

"Hey! How's the training going?" She smiled widely at you.

"Really well! I managed to splat the training dummy! I think I'm pretty much there!" You smiled back at her.

"That's awesome! I'm looking forward to having you on the missions with me!" She walked up to you and put an arm around you. "It gets....pretty lonely. You know?"

"I'm surprised you have time to feel lonely out there! Constantly under fire and all." The two of you sat down on the ground, giving Echo some reprieve.

"I just...would prefer to have a partner out there with me!" Her eyes drifted down to the ground. "Besides, it's not like I have many friends other than you."

You raised an eyebrow. "What about Marie?"

"She's...more like a boss. Which I get because this whole thing is really serious. But you....you're like an actual friend." She looked back up at you. "Funny how I get along with a human more than my own kind."

"Nothing wrong with that, right?" Echo immediately shook her head.

"N-No no of course not! It's just like I said, outside of the Splatoon I don't really have any friends. I live by myself, quite far out of the city and I don't have the time to do other things. Sure I dip into the occasional turf war, but I don't stick around long enough to make friends." She sighed and kicked up a little bit of dirt.

"Well...don't worry about it. You will make more friends once this is over. And like you said, we are friends! I'm not gonna stop being your friend!" You smiled at her. The inkling stared at you before putting her arms around you, squeezing you gently.

"Thank you Y/N....I'm glad I bumped into you in the square...otherwise we never would've gotten here." You hugged her back and patted her on the back.

"Likewise Echo. I'm glad I've managed to find friends so quickly." You embraced her for a few moments before she let go of you.

"I'll be ready soon. Rather get this out of the way, you know?" She said while leaning back and laying down on the ground, staring up at the clear blue sky.

"Mhm. I get that. Just tell me when you're ready! I will be too!" You said, full of confidence.

~

"Okay....maybe I wasn't that prepared...."

After Echo had her break, you were ushered to the boss kettle by Marie. Of course, it took you a while to get to your destination as you had to walk, but you got there in the end.