Chapter 9: The Final Step

"Morning Marie! I'm not late am I?" You strode happily over to the inkling who was stood holding her parasol and staring off into the distance, only being brought back to her senses when you spoke.

"Hmm? Oh no you aren't late! Four has already started though. Just wait for her to return and then you can join her." She folded away her parasol as you nodded and picked up from where you left off.

Upgrading Four's gear. Sheldon had been giving her new weapons to test each mission, a few were really good and she enjoyed using them.

There were a few however, that really frustrated her and she would bring this up to Sheldon each time one of these missions ended.

Other than that, she had been bringing back all the materials you required to upgrade her gear for her. Right now, you were working on an upgrade for her ink tank.

You had upgraded it once, but as the missions got longer and you got closer to the end objective she needed a bigger one. "Okay....let's see...."

Marie watched on as you got to work, baring a small smile as she did. Many times she had major doubts about all this and whether or not she would be able to successfully bring the Great Zapfish and her cousin back.

"I do have a few things to tell you while I'm working." You spoke, breaking the silence that had crept up on you both.

"Go ahead. I shall be listening." Marie set herself down next to you as you took a deep breath.

"Yesterday when I went home...I found something out that might be of interest to you. The people I live with have apparently made contact with someone called 'Captain Cuttlefish'. They said he was-." Before you could carry on, Marie was basically on top of you like a shot. Eyes wide, hands firmly on your shoulders.

"Th-that's gramps!! Oh thank Zapfish! Is he alright?! Where is he?! Is Agent 3 with him?!" She rattled off so many questions at once, making it difficult for you to comprehend what was going on.

"I-I don't really know much else than that. My friends are talking to him via some sort of chat room though, so I'm guessing he's okay." Marie breathed a sigh of relief before letting go of you.

"Forgive me Y/N. I-I didn't mean to be so forward. It's just after losing Callie....I didn't want to think that I had lost Gramps and Three as well...." You put down your tools and gently hugged her, much to her surprise.

"It's okay Marie....you really needed this news...I'll try and see if I can find out more for you later on." She hugged you back and smiled.

"Thank you Y/N....you truly are a blessing aren't you?" She giggled and noted the reddening of your cheeks through the corner of her eye. "Who are these people that you are with? I should like to meet them when this is all over."

"They're the hosts of Inkopolis news! Marina and Pearl!" You replied.

"Off The Hook? Now their music is fresh! Perhaps not as fresh as mine and Callie's...but that's me being biased!" She giggled again as you tried to let go of her. However, the inkling wasn't quite ready to do so yet. "No no...not yet. Just a little bit longer if you don't mind...."

".....s-sure...." You wrapped your arms around her again, and stayed silent.

The inkling observed you with a small smile, which became larger as time passed. "What a sweet and precious thing this one is....out of all the humans that could've been the last of their kind, I'm glad it was him...."

~

"And it's done! Look!" You held up the completed ink tank so Echo could see it. The yellow inkling leapt to her feet and took it from you as you held it out to her.