Chapter 16: The Metro

"Y/N! Are you ready to go? Me and Pearlie are just about to leave!!" Marina called out for you from the bottom of the stairs.

"Yeah hold on! Just give me a second!!!" You replied as a door was opened and hurried footsteps followed.

You soon emerged at the top of the stairs and hurriedly made your way down them, soon joining Marina and Pearl at the bottom.

"S-sorry about that! I was just getting ready." You apologised and rubbed the back of your neck.

Marina only giggled and gently took a hold of your hand.

"That's alright! I didn't want to rush you, but me and Pearl do need to get to work. You said you wanted a lift into the city." She said as she led you towards the front door.

"Yeah I'm going to meet a friend that I made while in the square. She's been really wanting to hang out for a while now." You said.

"I see. Well I hope you enjoy yourself!" She looked back at you, smiling sweetly but with a little hint of jealousy.

With her being so busy at work and you having been off with the Squidbeak Splatoon, she didn't really have much time to hang out with you. She hoped that maybe in the future, things would settle down more once you settled more into their society.

"Finally! There you both are! I thought you weren't gonna turn up at all!" Pearl sounded relieved when you and Marina got in the car and buckled up.

"Yeah I'm sorry about that." You apologised to Pearl too, who didn't seem too bothered about it anymore anyway.

"Well at least you are here and we won't be late! Let's get going!" She signalled for the driver to start heading off to the city.

The drive was relatively short and quiet, with the three of you making little bits of conversation along the way.

When you were dropped off, you walked in between the two idols who both held each of your hands. It meant that anyone you passed by would stare, but you were used to it by now anyway.

Some would turn and whisper and others would just keep walking.

"And here we are again! Where we always leave you when we go to work!" Pearl said as you entered the square.

"Yep! I'll see you both later then." You smiled and opened your arms to hug them.

A gesture that was returned and appreciated by both of them.

"You stay safe and don't get into any trouble." Marina said as she pulled away from the hug.

"I'll be fine. I know my way around here by now." You reassured as Pearl nudged you slightly.

"Course you do! We'll see ya later!" She grinned and waved as her and Marina walked away, leaving you on your own.

You made your way through the square to the huge tower at the end of it. Looking up, there was the Great Zapfish. Still where it should be.

"Hey!!!"

A loud yell from beside you made you nearly jump out of your skin, and made the one who did it collapse to the floor in laughter.

"N-Not funny!" You pouted as you regained your senses and looked down at the blue inkling rolling around on the floor laughing.

"Oh come on!! You should see your face!! It's sooo funny!!!" Bobble spoke in between laughs, which slowly died down until she stopped and pulled herself back to her feet.

"It's genuinely priceless!" She chuckled again.

"Yeah yeah whatever." You grumbled.

"Come on! Lighten up a little!" She gently elbowed you.