Chapter 28

I just finished reading a book called Cruel Beauty and I highly recommend. It's like reading an alternate tale of beauty and the beast.

Evie:

I had an unusual waking this morning three hours before my alarm goes off at five-thirty. A loud crash came from the downstairs floor of my house, startling me out of a deep peaceful sleep. I sat up straight in bed, listening for anything that might tell me what I heard was a fragment of my imagination. Another crash.
With trembling hands and a shaky breath, I got out of bed. My door, slightly cracked, widened with a small creak. Luna ran in, meowing as she jumped up on my bed of a soft pink satin bedding set with pink and brown pillows. I took my phone off the charger with the other members of the circle on speed dial, and quietly walked across my soft rug to my door and slowly opened it. I stepped out, my feet walking as light as a feather on the cold wooden flooring. I went down the first set of my carpeted stairs with wood railing, to the landing in between the two sets of stairs.

I peered around the railing, trying my hardest not to make a sound. I saw no movement and heard nothing except for my racing heart and rapid breaths but then again, it was two in the morning and no sun shined through the windows; the house was as dark as an enclosed room with no windows or candles. Slowly and carefully I stepped down the second set of stairs, and my breath halted when my feet touched the wooden flooring once again.
I stalked to the corridor leading to my front door and ran my hands along very light pink painted walls. I found the light switch, and flipped it. I turned around quickly, scared that someone would jump at me from behind. My back against the door, I made sure it was locked. Surely enough, it was.

I slowly made my way back to the open living room, and looked around. No one was in sight. I quickly went to my back door that slid and opened out onto the back patio and small yard. The latch to lock it was up, not down, meaning it was unlocked. The window of my kitchen above the sink was opened, blowing in the cold breezy January air along my face. I shut it and latched it. Turning around, I saw the state of my kitchen. The flower vases I had sitting along my island and dining table were smashed on the floor. I don't know how I didn't notice before, but I did now.
That was the crashing I heard from my bedroom. Above me, the floorboards creaked. Someone was upstairs. They had slipped right past me. My heart beat out of my chest, anxiety washing over my body. I went upstairs, quiet and slow. I reached the top, and looked down both sides of the hallway. I went right first, and straight into the master bedroom. It was empty. I closed the door again, and turned and went to the left of the staircase. My bedroom door was still open, Luna jumping out with her usual meowing as she ran to my ankles and followed me.

My bedroom was clear. I kept walking down my hallway, checking the bathroom. The mirror had been smashed, but it didn't seem to have been hit with a sharp object. Someone punched it.
I went to the end of my hallway that didn't have a door and went right into the open space of my loft; one of my favorite parts of my house. I had two large sets of windows. One behind my swinging couch with dangling lights around it and the other to the right of the room behind a couple chairs and a side table; those windows were open. Whoever was in my house went through my windows and jumped down a two story building.
They got away.

I locked every door and window in my home, and by the time I felt safe enough to walk around my house, it was time for me to get ready for school. I got dressed, putting on black low waisted jeans, a loose white tank top with a beautiful design along the bottom of the shirt, a dark gray jacket, and paired it with black leather open-toe heeled wedges. I added black teardrop shaped earrings and a gold dreamcatcher necklace with a blue stone in the middle and three gold feathers hanging from the bottom.
I got in my car and drove to the school. I got there at the same time Cassie, Diana, and Adam showed up.