Chapter 44

I'm backkkk. I may not update next weekend because there's a possibility I'm going out with friends.

Six years later (2018)~

"I told you to fix that hours ago," I said to one of my colleagues. I work in an office building as a CEO's assistant, my boss being a friend of mine I met in community college. My job is to coordinate meetings, adjust her schedule, and I also supervise the other employees on our floor.

"I apologize ma'am," Shiela replied, then proceeded to fix the position of an award our company had received.
My job is relatively easy, even though dealing with some of my coworkers isn't. My phone began ringing, it was my fiancé.

"Hey honey. Everything alright?"

"I just received something in the mail sent to my work, I think you need to see this," he replied in a low tone, his voice barely above a whisper.

"Well I can't leave work, Jake. I'll have to see it this evening when we get home."
Jake and I got engaged two years ago. Shortly after Diana's departure from the circle, which we hardly speak on, Jake and I left and started a new life here in Miami, a safe forty-seven hour drive from Washington. We rarely ever hear from the rest of the circle, only getting post cards occasionally from Diana's travels with her boyfriend, Grant. I speak to Faye and Dawn every once in a while though, and told them about the engagement.

"Right, sorry to bother you sweetie, just wanted to give you a heads up. I'll see you in a few hours."

"I love you."
We hung up, and I got back to work. The next couple hours went by and I told my boss, Eileen, goodbye as I headed out. I got in my car, a silver Kia Sorrento I got the following weeks of me and Jake arriving in Miami.

I set my keys and purse down on the counter in the kitchen when I got home. We have a two story house with three bedrooms; a master, a guest room, and one empty. We also have three bathrooms, and a study for when we work from home. The living room is a black and white theme, with the wallpaper a black background covered in white roses. The kitchen is marble, and the floors are a dark wood.
I sat down on the long black cushioned couch facing the fireplace where Jake was.

"What was it you needed to show me?" I asked. He handed me an envelope. It was opened, and inside was a small white card. On it, it read, The others are coming.
My face went hard as I looked back up at him. "Who sent this?"

He nodded for me to look. I flipped the envelope back over to the front. It was from Royce Armstrong, Jake's grandfather.
"Royce?"

Jake hummed, "Mhmm. He got my work address somehow and knew I'd get it. He even added a little message," he then handed me a little folded up piece of paper he had in his hand.

Jake,
I know you and Evie cut ties with this part of your life, but I can't help the feeling that they are coming. Something big is going to happen very soon, and you need to be ready. Come back, son. Come back home. Give Evie my best of wishes.
Love,
Your grandfather.

I sighed. "He may have been right about Blackwell's other children, but we left all of that behind. This is our chance to have a normal life, we can't go back there."

"He might have something," Jake replied.

"Okay. I'll call Faye tomorrow morning."

Jake leaned over, resting his head on my chest as I wrapped my arms around him. "Thank you."

I kissed his head, "Come on, let's go get comfy and watch movies."
The following morning, I dialed my sister as I started a pot of coffee.

The phone picked up. "Hello?"