Chapter 19

I know I don't usually update during the week but I'm bored.

Evie:

"Evie. Evie. Evie!"
I snapped out of my daydream, and looked at my friends. We all sat around at a booth at the boathouse. It was after school, and I wore dark blue jeans, a black cami tank top, a leather jacket, heeled boots and paired it with black dangly earrings.

"Sorry, what?" It was Cassie who called my name.

"My grandmother hasn't been answering her calls lately, and she's been gone for three days."

I sighed. "It's time to take a trip to Henry Chamberlain."
As much as the others didn't want to, Jake had to come with us. He took Nick's place in the circle so, friend or foe, he's joining. We stood outside in front of where all our cars were parked.

"I'm riding with Adam," Diana said. "You coming with Evie?"

"I'll let you two have some alone time. I can ride with Jake and save gas on both our cars," I replied. Faye nor Adam looked amused.

"And I'll be with Faye, so let's go," Melissa said.

"I'm going to go get a coffee for the road, want another latte?" Jake asked me as we began splitting up. I nodded with a smile, and watched him go back inside.

"What's going on with you two?" I turned my head to Faye.

"Nothing," I responded.

"I'm not buying it, sis. Look, all I'm going to say is watch your back. Don't let him use you for what he wants and then decide that you've served your purpose. He'll just throw you away like he did me," she responded as she walked away. I sighed and leaned against the back of his car, thinking about what my sister said.
Jake returned, and I stayed silent as he gave me my latte and got into the car. It was an hour and a half long drive, and halfway through he spoke.

"What's wrong?"

"Nothing."

"Evie, I may not have known you long, but the expression on your face tells me there's something. What's bothering you?"

"It's nothing important Jake, really, I'm fine."

"Okay," he said softly. His hand rested on my leg as we continued our ride listening to music. We reached the lake house, and I stared in awe. We got out of our vehicles, and I stood on the front steps with my friends.
"Our grandfather owns this?"

"Yep," Faye said. She grabbed a spare key from under the welcome mat, and unlocked the door. We went inside.
The lights were off, not working as a matter of fact.

"Faye, where can we find candles?" Diana asked.

"Basement's right through there to your left," she replied as she pointed in the direction of what seemed to be a dining room. Diana and Adam went to go find the candles, while Melissa and Jake started a fire. Cassie sat down on the couch.
"Evie, come with me to find the breaker?"

We both went outside, and I wrapped my jacket tighter around myself as the night grew cooler. Faye had two flashlights, and handed one to me. We walked around to the side of the house, and as she focused on the breaker, I looked out onto the lake.
It was eerie. Fog was layered over the dark water, and the light from the moon was covered by trees, making it look a lot darker. Something about the water, it pulled me. A strange lull, reeling me in like a fish caught on a fishing pole. I was the fish, and the lake was my fisher.

"Evie!" Faye called out my name. I dropped the flashlight she had given me, still locked in the trance. I found myself on the edge of the dock, looking down at the water, despite not being able to see anything.
"Evie!"
My trance broke, and I turned around quickly with a gasp.