Chapter 45

I got bored.

Evie:

I fidgeted with the intertwined heart necklace my mother gave me for Christmas seven years ago as I stared out the small window onto the glimmering lights below the clouds.
"Are you okay?"
I turned my head, looking at Jake. "Yeah, just nervous. I haven't seen my mom or siblings in six years. And Faye and Dawn are the only ones I've kept in contact with. It won't be the same as it was before."

He took his hand in mine. "Maybe not, but that doesn't mean the difference will be worse. Give it a chance, I'm sure everyone will be happy to see you."
I smiled, then looked back out the window. Eventually I fell asleep.

The plane descended back to land, and when it came to a stop, we got our suitcases and left. My car had arrived, so Jake drove us from Seattle to Chance Harbor, which was only a couple hours. We came to the welcome sign, and I remember seeing it for the first time seven years ago. I felt nervous just as I did now, unsure of what was awaiting me.
We drove down the familiar roads, and I saw the lights of all the shops and restaurants. Everything was shut down now, as it neared three in the morning. We came to a halt and I looked out the window. We parked on the street, right in front of the house which was my old home. No one occupied it because it was still in my name. It was the only thing left of my adoptive parents, my other house in Portland was torn down.

We walked up to the door, and Jake inserted the key, turning it as it made a click. He opened the door, and we entered. He flipped the switch and the living room and corridor lights came on. We set our things down, and decided we'd deal with it in the morning.
I ran my fingers along the soft pink walls. I didn't know how much I'd missed this place until I returned. It felt so weird to be back home. It was the only place I ever felt like I belonged. We went up the two sets of stairs, and to my bedroom. It stayed the same as I had left it. The pink and white theme, and the master bedroom untouched. I didn't spend much time reminiscing, I was tired. So Jake and I both went straight to sleep, and the last thought I had before I drifted off was, How bad can this really be?

The next morning, Jake and I made coffee and unpacked our things. We took showers, and straightened up the house a bit. It wasn't a mess, but had a few things to tidy up. While I showered and found something to wear for tonight's dinner with the rest of the circle, Jake went out and got groceries to put in the kitchen.
I put on a classy thin-strap black fitted dress with ankle strap open-toe stilettos. I curled my long brown hair and did a shimmery smokey eye makeup look. I added my silver heart necklace, and on my right hand was my promise ring set and on my left was my engagement ring. My engagement ring matched the promise ring, it's an aquamarine oval with a silver band with diamonds imprinted into it.

After Jake got back, he showered and changed. He wore black jeans, a dark blue v-neck, and boots.
We drove to the boathouse where we'd meet up with the others. I was nervous, how much had they changed? Would any of them be glad to be back?
Jake grabbed my hand, and we walked up the wooden steps. The bell dinged as we entered, and I scanned the room. Ethan stood at the bar wiping it down, and smiled when he glanced up and saw us.

"Latte girl?" He laughed. He came out from behind the counter and hugged me.
"What brings you back?"

"Um, just needed to be home for a bit."

"The others are here. A booth in the back, I'll send over a latte in a few."

"Thanks."
We walked to the back, and indeed found our friends sitting in a booth, farthest away from other customers. Adam saw us, and rose from the table. Everyone else followed.

"Evie!" Faye exclaimed, wrapping her arms around me.

"Hey sis," I replied. She'd changed so much. Her shoulder length hair had definitely grown out and was much longer now, so was Melissa's. Cassie got taller, but was still the shortest of the bunch. She used to have side swept bangs but now they were curtain with a middle part. Diana had a glow to her that I didn't see much before she left town. She had dulled, but it was understandable. Diana learned Blackwell was her biological father, and her dad, Charles, saved us by transferring demons inside of him and killing himself. He also killed Cassie's mom and, accidentally, her grandmother Jane.

"You look beautiful," Cassie smiled. She noticed the ring on my hand.
"You're engaged? That's wonderful!"

"I'm happy for the both of you," Adam said, hugging me. Adam was still attractive, and at one point I had a thing for him. But he was still happily dating Melissa, who found love after losing her boyfriend and Jake's brother, Nick.

"Thanks," Jake replied.

We sat around the table, and my latte was delivered by Ethan. When he left, Faye began. "So what exactly did Royce mean by 'they'?"

"I'm guessing Blackwell's other children," I responded.

"My grandfather may have been crazy but he was right about Blackwell having other kids to begin with. And if they know about their true lineage they may want to fulfill it, especially if word got out to other witches that Blackwell's dead for good. They might seek revenge."
Hearing Jake mention Blackwell being dead nerved me. I saw him when I was leaving work the night before we left Miami. The only way he could contact me through magic is if he's alive, and I don't put it past him. Blackwell is sneaky, and ruthless.

"As much as I don't want to admit it," Diana started, "they're right. Blackwell had four other kids, enough to make an entire circle of dark witches, a deadly weapon. We chose to be good, the other four might not have."

"So what? They're going to just force the three of you to bind their circle?" Faye asked.

"They could, or they could kill us," I replied. "If they are coming for revenge, they'd kill us rather than let us join their little cult."

"How'd they even find each other?" Adam asked.

"I guess the same way we did. It could've been fate," Cassie said.

Diana scoffed, "Or Blackwell."

"Either way, we can't leave until this is dealt with. Once it is, we can go back to our normal lives," Jake said.
We ate, and talked about our new lives. Everyone had left Chance Harbor, some later than others. Cassie got her masters in communications and became a reporter in Seattle. Diana and Grant have traveled the country together, but their relationship got rocky when she was called back here. Adam and Melissa moved to Phoenix, Arizona. Melissa got her masters in fashion designing, while Adam went into business and owns a bar. Faye went to Seattle as well, and opened up a goth store, not surprising.

"You got a tattoo?" Cassie asked.

I had forgotten, but yep. "I got multiple, actually." The only Cassie had noticed was the small pair of butterflies on my left shoulder. I showed them another I had gotten, two roses on my right forearm and their stems crossed each other. I also have one of angel wings with a heart above them. It symbolizes my adoptive parents. And the last one, which I didn't show them, is the word Amore written in cursive on my right hip.

"Wow," Diana said. "I got one but it's just a small heart on my wrist."

"I would never get a tattoo, but I do want to pierce my belly button," Cassie replied. "They seem way less painful."

"Tattoos aren't painful," Jake said. "It's like a pinch, really. But it depends on your pain tolerance."

"Just don't ever tattoo a boy's name on you," Faye smirked. "They're permanent, guys aren't. I got one as well."
She removed her leather jacket and showed us. It was really pretty. A large butterfly landing on a pair of red roses with rose petals scattered around.

"I love that," Diana said.
The night went seemingly well to my surprise. I thought there would be drama and arguments, but it went well. Despite the serious problem we came back here for, we had a nice reunion. But eventually we'll have to deal with the issue and prevent all hell from breaking loose.
That won't be hard at all.

Goodnight.