A Very Bold Move Indeed

This story takes place a few weeks after the previous chapter. Some surprises and twists await in this chapter.

As always, if you have any comments feel free to leave them. If you enjoy the story, think about leaving a vote.

The sun burned high in the sky over a beautiful summer day on the Vermilion City beach. Hundreds of people and Pokémon ran along the tannish sand or frolicked in the mild surf. Plenty of young children built structures in the sand or played in the shallows with friends and parents. Several older couples slowly walked along the shoreline, enjoying the heat and the sights. More than a few youths engaged in athletic sports and contests; many young women trying to catch the eye of a young man and many young men intently eyeing the numerous bikini clad young women who dotted the beach.

The Pokémon also engaged in their own games. Most of them had trainers, owners or families they stayed with, but some were wild residents of Vermilion City. Squirtle and Wartortle were common as were Krabby and Psyduck. In addition to the usual Pokémon of Kanto, there were also some creatures from other regions. A few Wingull and Pelipper joined with the native Kanto flying Pokémon. There was also an occasional Mudkip and Totodile scattered amongst the others.

The Pokémon all enjoyed the sand and surf. They played with each other and with the people on the beach. The kids laughed and ran around. Sometimes they chased the Pokémon and other times the Pokémon chased them.

The day wasn't out of the ordinary, but for many, it was special occasion. It was a time for them to get away from the busyness of life and enjoy a few hours of fun and relaxation.

The first disturbance on the ocean surface started in the deep water, some ways out from the beach. The water began to froth slightly and then an obsidian colored, streamlined and ovoid tower with a flat top burst through the water's surface. Small lines of red highlighted the construct and it resembled a submarine conning tower, because that's exactly what it was.

A large amount of water began to churn in front of the tower as it rose higher and higher. A few seconds later, the massive superstructure the tower was build on top of broke the surface. The superstructure was rectangular in shape and far longer than it was wide. It ran some distance in front of and behind the conning tower and was a similar obsidian color.

By now, many people on the shore had taken notice of the strange shape emerging from the water. Nobody knew what to make of it and a strange hush fell on the beach as more and more people and Pokémon turned to look at the surfacing vessel.

The main body of the submersible was next to emerge. Unlike most submarines, which were cylindrical in shape, this one looked as if it had been squashed vertically. It was far wider than it was high and there was a huge flat area on the top of the vessel, in front of the superstructure, surrounded by the rounded bow and sides which curved down into the water. The hull of the submarine was also obsidian and featured more red highlights.

Although no one knew what to make of the vessel, its menacing appearance caused many to feel concern and fear. The silence on the beach was punctuated by the cries and whimpers of a few young children, unnerved by the situation. Long seconds passed as huge amounts of water flowed off the top of the submarine. Then, at the front most section of the flat hull, a pair of panels began to swing upward like a pair of doors opening. A moment later, a portion of the curved sides, began to move along with the panels, opening upward as well. It was a massive bay door, swinging aside to reveal whatever was inside. A few seconds later, a second set of doors, directly behind the first and in line toward the conning tower, began to open as well. Then, another set of doors began to move, and then another. As the doors opened wider, a red hued light began to radiate from deep inside the obsidian colored submersible.