Laying the Foundation of a Wonderful Future

This chapter takes place a few weeks after the end of the previous one. The time has come for Ash to finally begin construction on the long planned house. Additionally, there's a new lover on the reserve and he's got his eye on a very certain female. A vicious battle for affection is about to take place!

Enjoy the story! I appreciate and listen to all feedback. If you have any comments, please leave them. If you like what you read, consider leaving a vote.

The sky slowly turned bright blue, the sun rose, the morning mist burned away and I waited. I sat in the bush across the yard from the main building, patiently waiting for her to arrive. The last few days she'd arrived at almost the exact same time and as the sun neared that same position in the sky, my heart began to race. I focused my eyes intently on the top of the stairs, watching for the first sign of the one whom I loved.

My patience was rewarded! She crested the top of the stairs and began to follow the path toward the building. I felt such happiness and warmth at seeing her! Her step was light and full of energy. Her eyes glittered with beauty and kindness. As I watched, I wondered if she would remember me. It had been so long since we'd spoken. She reached the building and smiled joyfully as the door opened and then I saw him!

My heart fell as he was there to greet her yet again. He desired her heart, just as I did. He is my competition! He is my rival!

Fear and doubt gnawed at my mind but I shook my head and threw aside those feelings. Today would be the day I finally made my move. Today I would tell her how I felt!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Serena smiled and blushed as Ash pulled open the door and grinned at her.

"Still rolling out the welcome mat, I see!" she said with a happy chuckle.

An entourage of Pokémon was waiting just behind Ash. Pikachu, Bulbasaur, Totodile, Hawlucha, Buizel, and Bayleef from his own collection. There were also many other Pokémon from the reserve; Pokémon who had befriend Serena and were happy to see her. Vulpix, Charmander, Flareon, a couple Eevee, Teddiursa, and Skitty.

All of the Pokémon expressed their happiness at seeing her and welcomed her inside.

Serena blushed some more, waved and smiled at the gathering and then stepped inside. Delphox, Pancham and Sylveon all followed a couple steps behind her. Just as Serena reached Ash, he stretched out an arm, wrapped it around her waist and pulled her close.

Serena giggled and used her hands to brace herself against her boyfriend's chest as he pulled her tightly against his body. They stared into each other's eyes for a second, then Ash leaned forward, they closed their eyes and their lips met in a warm and wonderful kiss.

A few of the younger Pokémon made faces or cringed. Others, like Pancham looked curious, not truly understanding why two humans would press their lips together. Most of the Pokémon were pleased and slightly embarrassed at their trainer's open display of affection. They blushed, looked elsewhere and made idle conversation, trying to pretend that the kiss wasn't happening. And then there was Bayleef. She loudly voiced her approval of Ash's actions, so much so that several of the Pokémon grew uncomfortable and sent her sidelong glances.

The kiss ended but Serena stayed just an inch away from Ash's face.

"Valentine's day was last week," she quipped with a small smirk.

Ash chuckled. "Well, who says it had to be only one day?"

Serena raised her eyebrows and tilted her head so their foreheads pressed together. Their warm breath tickled against their faces.