An Ill-Fated Attraction

This chapter takes place a day after the end of the previous chapter. Ash and the kids are at the Pokémon league checking out the sights. Soon, they will head back home, however, a new rival lurks on the horizon...

Enjoy the chapter.

With gritted teeth and clinched fists, the rock climber called out in a loud voice. "Now Nidoking, use Hyper Beam!" he commanded.

The battered but still standing, horned Pokémon roared in response, opened its mouth and began to charge the powerful attack.

Sweat rolled down the face of the black belt. "Quick, Hitmonchan, use Mach Punch!" she shouted.

The panting fighting type steeled itself and launched toward its opponent with blinding speed.

There was a bright flash of light; a huge collision; an explosion of smoke and... suddenly everyone in front of the large screen carrying the battle leapt to their feet and started shouting in a deafening cacophony.

"NOO, what happened?!" Terrence wailed desperately.

"I can't see!" Cyril added, craning his neck to try and look over the wall of people.

"Hey, down in front!" Gwyn shouted. After a few unsuccessful seconds, Gwyn glanced up at her Squirtle, Turtee, standing atop her head. "Can you see what happened?" she asked.

Turtee had a big smile fixed to her face. She nodded and all three kids lit up with happy relief.

"Oh boy!!" Terence said, bouncing on his heels.

"Who won?!" Cyril asked.

Turtee dropped into Gwyn's arms, started gesturing and rapidly speaking in...... Squirtle.....

The three kids stared blankly for a few seconds and then groaned as one, "OHHH NOOOO!!!!!"

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After a trip through Victory Road, and some time watching the first day of the Indigo League, our heroes are ready to return to Pallet Town. But will the journey home be so simple?

Ash took a long look at the large stadium shining in the afternoon sun and smiled as countless memories flowed through his mind. The hustle and bustle of the crowd, the cheering as battles unfolded and the exciting reversals; nothing much had changed. Even though it had been a few years since he'd competed in a Pokémon League, it suddenly felt like only yesterday that he'd faced down Leon and won. Part of him itched to get into a battle, but he felt content where he was in life. He was happy leaving the battling to the younger trainers who hadn't ever tasted victory.

Beside him, Cyril was fiddling with a large, fold-out paper which featured a bunch of brackets printed on it. "So, that guy from Johto lost but the girl from Viridian City won!" he commented.

Gwyn munched on a mouthful of popcorn and nodded. "Yuahhh," she mumbled. "Un, thun tuh phisuh mun osst!"

Cyril looked puzzled and glanced at Gwyn. "Huh??"

Gwyn briefly looked embarrassed and made an effort to swallow. "I said, then the fisherman lost!" she repeated.

Cyril nodded and made a mark on the bracket. "Right," he said. He started tracing a finger over some of the other markings. "So, next up will be that ghost hunter girl..."

Ash stepped over and eyed the two kids. "So, what are you doing?" he asked with a smile.

Both children glanced up and Cyril spoke. "We're trying to figure out who's gonna make it into the top sixty four."