Curiosity Killed the Chaser: Part 1

Here is the story of what happened with Goh, Chloe and Project Mew. Goh is pursuing his dream of capturing Mew. The two of them are in Johto and near the campsite of Professor Amaranth and his team. What dangers await him and Chloe? Will Goh achieve his dream of catching Mew or will he and Chloe meet an untimely end?!

Soft sheets, a warm bed, a lovely pillow and comfy pajamas; all of these things surrounded Chloe and left her feeling happy and peaceful. She floated at the edge of consciousness, just awake enough to be aware of her wonderful environment, but still enjoying the restfulness of sleep. Her breathing was slow and her mind was quiet. The tiniest of smiles pulled at her lips as every muscle in her body soaked in the soothing relaxation that-

"COME ON, CHLOE!!! WE'RE GONNA BE LATE!!!"

Chloe flinched and cried out in surprise. She sat bolt-upright in the bed of the Pokémon center, eyes wide and mouth open. It took a moment for her eyes to focus on Goh standing at the foot of her bed. He stared back at her with an intense expression. A moment later, he gasped and his face changed to one of astonishment.

"WHAT KIND OF A WAKE UP CALL WAS THAT!?!" Chloe shouted. She glared at Goh and crossed her arms. "What are you staring at?!" she said pointedly when Goh kept his gaze fixed on her.

"Uh..... your hair!" Goh replied, still looking astonished.

"Huh?" Chloe glanced over her shoulder and saw that her Maroon locks were a massive, tangled, mess.

"AUGHHH!!" she screamed. Like a bolt of lightning, she dashed to the bathroom and began frantically brushing at her hair. "Why does this always happen!?!?" she moaned.

Goh walked up to the open door and looked in on his friend with a tentative expression on his face. "How long is that gonna take?"

Chloe shot Goh a venomous look. "It's gonna take a lot longer with you watching me. Go away! Let me work!"

Goh made a sour face and turned to walk away, grumbling as he did so. "Should've woken you up earlier," he said offhandedly.

Chloe pulled on her hair, wetted it, fluffed it and used all the tricks she knew to try and tame the mess. It helped, but there was no way she could get it reigned in before they had to leave.

"GOH, GET IN HERE!!!" she shouted.

Goh dashed to the bathroom door. "Now what?!" he groused.

Chloe slapped a hairbrush into his hands. "Start at the top and work your way down!" she commanded.

Wearing a perplexed expression, Goh followed Chloe's request and began helping get her hair under control. It took the two of them about fifteen minutes to finally restore Chloe's hair to its usual long, braided form. She then changed into her traveling clothes, grabbed her backpack and chased after an apoplectic Goh.

"HURRY CHLOE!!" Goh shouted, running in a northerly direction from the Pokémon center.

Chloe sighed and pumped her legs to keep up with him. "We're plenty early Goh!" she called after him. "You're not gonna miss out!"

"I don't care!" Goh replied. "Today's the day I'm finally gonna catch Mew!! I've waited my whole life for this. I'm not gonna stop until I've got Mew's Pokéball in the palm of my hand!!"

Goh grinned from ear-to-ear and raced ahead. Chloe let out a tired exclamation and chased after him as best as she could. Fortunately for Chloe, the campsite for Project Mew was only a couple miles north of the Pokémon center. She was gasping for breath when Goh finally stopped running and took in the sight of the small encampment.