Just Friends... Right?

This chapter takes place a couple days after the end of the previous one.

Serena is now in Dendemille Town and getting ready for the upcoming Pokémon showcase. What will happen when she encounters an old friend? Meanwhile, Ash is continuing to work on the reserve. He's still adjusting to life without Serena. How will he fair?

I hope you like this one. Please leave any comments or thoughts you have.

A gentle breeze caused the trees of Dendemille Town to slightly sway and for innumerable soft pink flower petals to drift in the air. The sweet smell of nectar was prevalent as were the happy songs of numerous flying Pokémon. The sun shone brightly overhead and illuminated the small, grassy field where Delphox, Pancham and Sylveon all worked together to practice their upcoming performance.

Serena stood to the side, giving direction to her precious friends. Her cotton woven, sleeveless, charcoal top hugged the curves of her fit torso and subtly showed off all the features which made her a woman. Her shining golden locks fluttered in the breeze and swayed as she moved this way and that, directing her Pokémon. Atop her head was a cute, short-brimmed straw fedora which shaded her sparkling blue eyes from the bright sun above her.

Her shapely and strong legs moved with precision and purpose. Her years of practice and dozens of performances ensured that every time she planted her feet, her momentum and energy smoothly carried her into her next sequence. Her knee-high boots clumped on the dirt and her red/white skirt swished and swayed along with her body. The girl from Vaniville Town brimmed with feminine energy and exuded cheerfulness, joy and excitement.

With a pirouette and a quick side-step, Serena positioned herself for the final move of her performance.

"Now, Delphox, use Mystical Fire and Sylveon, use Fairy Wind!"

The other two feminine participants turned toward each other and directed their attacks together. The Mystical Fire from Delphox swirled into a heated orb and the Fairy Wind from Sylveon moved in a soft motion to gently surround and caress the burning sphere. Then, the pink hued wind dispersed and the burning orb snuffed out. The two ladies had come close but they'd just missed their goal!

Serena's uplifting smile faltered for a moment and then she regained her enthusiasm. "Oh, well," she said kindly. "That was really close. I'm sure you two will get it after a few more tries."

Delphox and Sylveon each made subdued replies and then walked in opposite directions. Pancham glanced between the female performers and let out an exasperated sigh. Serena glanced at her three friends and then checked her phone. It was getting on in the afternoon and she wanted to return to the town to see some of the sights.

"Okay, that's enough for today," she said. "Take a break everyone."

Serena recalled Delphox and Pancham. She was about to do the same for Sylveon when she noticed that her four-legged friend appeared a little downcast. Serena lowered her Pokéball and knelt down next to her fairy type Pokémon.

"Hey, is everything okay?" Serena said gently.

Sylveon's mouth trembled and tears filled her eyes. The magical looking creature let out a soft mew and her head slumped in apparent despair and disappointment.

Serena's soft, pink lips turned up in an encouraging smile and she leaned toward her Pokémon so she could run the slender fingers of her left hand down her back. "I know," she breathed. "I miss home too." Serena then brightened and lifted the tone of her voice. "But, we've got a job to do. I know you'll be great in the showcase!"

Sylveon's mood didn't improve and Serena briefly wrapped her arms around her Pokémon's neck in a loving hug before returning to a kneeling position. "Take a rest. I'm sure you'll feel better," she said sweetly.