Curiosity Killed the Chaser: Part 2

This part picks up immediately after the previous chapter.

I hope you enjoy!

Goh spent several long seconds taking in the sight of the legendary Pokémon. It was completely motionless as it lay on the rock. It looked tired. It was the perfect opportunity.

Chloe reached Goh's side and took in a sharp breath. "Hey! Isn't that-" she began to whisper.

Goh immediately pressed the palm of his left hand over Chloe's mouth. "Shhhhhh!!!" Goh hissed. He sent Chloe an intense look to keep her quiet and then began removing the small pieces of equipment from the device on his left forearm.

He first turned on the teleport inhibitor and then assembled the tether beam device. He powered on the small gold-plated, tripod mounted, machine which would keep Mew from fleeing and then took a breath. This was the moment he'd been waiting for his entire life. He abruptly felt a hand gently squeeze his left shoulder.

He turned toward Chloe and saw she was looking at him with shimmering eyes and a smile. "Good luck Goh!" she whispered.

Goh felt a burst of warm feelings inside him. It was great to see Chloe supporting his quest! He reached into his short's pocket and retrieved one of the blue capture balls. He tapped it to enlarge it, held the device in his left hand and took a breath.

"This is it Chloe! Time to capture Mew!"

Chloe nodded and looked intently into his eyes. "I'm with you Goh," she said boldly.

Goh was a little surprised at Chloe's attitude. She wasn't normally this eager to get involved with Pokémon battles. He grinned. "You ready," he whispered.

Chloe nodded again.

Goh pushed the button on the tether beam device and it began its activation sequence. He checked to make sure the teleport inhibitor was activated and then stood up, partially emerging from the bush. He strode forward, Chloe at his side matching him stride-for-stride and walked toward Mew. The small, pink, cat-like creature stirred slightly and slowly turned its head to look at him.

Goh took a few steps forward and grinned. "Mew, I'm Goh and I've waited all my life to capture you!" He hefted the Pokéball in his left hand. "Okay, let's-"

At that moment, the tether beam activated and a bright spear of yellow energy shot out of the device. The energy slammed into Mew, surrounded it and the legendary Pokémon began to cry out in pain.

Goh hesitated as the small Pokémon thrashed and screamed while in the grip of the tether beam.

Chloe looked shocked and upset. "Goh!!!! Is it....... supposed to do that!?!?!"

Goh froze for a very long moment as he remembered all of Doctor Melcher's assurances that the devices they were using were safe, gentle and wouldn't harm Mew. He stared at Mew; saw how its face was scrunched up and how its limbs flailed desperately. Was it being hurt by the tether beam?................. No! It was just struggling to break free, like all Pokémon do. That's all it was.

"I'm sure it's fine," Goh said to Chloe. He took a step forward to gain momentum and hurled the blue capture ball toward Mew.

"IN THE PALM OF MY-" Goh cried out.

Mew's head suddenly whipped around and its gaze fixed on the incoming capture ball. The Pokémon's eyes glowed red and the capture ball abruptly stopped in midair. A moment later the ball vibrated and then exploded into dust.

Goh gasped in surprise but before he could react, Mew shifted its gaze toward him and Chloe.

Goh suddenly felt a massive, invisible force shove him backward and he, along with Chloe, were hurled away from Mew. Both of them slammed into the rock wall with enough force that Goh saw stars burst in front of his eyes and Chloe thought she might pass out.